Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:31 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:37:18 PM
awe-inspiring first encounter girls

https://url.epoch.tw/JM0wr

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:02:24 AM
ripsnorting uncovered girls

Johnnyhoppy

February 23, 2024, 10:39:30 PM
far-out unembellished girls

ytmp3music

September 23, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
Titanic post! I couldn't coincide more with your points. It's happy to give some thought to such mindful insights shared here.
Youtube to mp3 converter
<a href="https://www.ytmp3.to">Youtube to mp3 converter</a>

Hidden In Him

March 02, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
What a beautiful Spring day! Glory to God!

Hidden In Him

January 07, 2022, 06:49:10 PM
Alive and well!  :)

Happy 2022! This is gonna be a good one. I can feel it, Lol.

MoreBloodWine

December 30, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
You alive Chris ?

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Calendar

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
Holidays
May 5: Cinco de Mayo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 363
  • Total Topics: 257
  • Online Today: 118
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Author Topic: James 3:7-18  (Read 3059 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
James 3:7-18
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
The Rebuilding Of Christianity After The Judgment, Part 2

In New Testament times, the Lord was giving warnings to the church about what would happen if they gave themselves over to strife and infighting. Should they make this mistake, they would risk of the Holy Spirit being extinguished from among them, which would effectively make the church good for nothing but to be trampled underfoot by men:

See that no one renders evil for evil, but always pursue the good, towards one another and towards all. Rejoice always, pray incessantly, [and] give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not extinguish the Holy Spirit. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-19)

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt becomes tasteless, with what shall it be salted? It is henceforth good for nothing, but to be thrown out, and trampled underfoot by men. (Matthew 5:13)

These warnings had great bearing on the letter of James, for despite the Holy Spirit being poured out less than fifteen years earlier, many were now serving the Serpent in dealing out the death-poison of bitterness to fellow believers in Christ. As James was now stating, the tongue, rising like a restless serpent amongst the congregations of God, was once again becoming an evil no church leader could tame:

For every species of beasts, both of birds and of reptiles and of creatures of the sea, is being subdued and has been subdued by the human species. But no one among men is able to subdue the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of death-dealing poison. By this we bless [our] Lord and Father, and by this we curse men who have been made after the likeness of God. Out of the same mouth goes forth blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be. Does a fountain pour forth sweet and bitter water from the same opening? My brothers, is a fig tree able to produce olives, or a vine figs? Nor is a fountain able to produce salty and sweet water...
     From whence are wars and fights arising among you? Is it not from here, from your pleasures that wage war amongst your membership? You desire, yet do not have. You murder and covet. And you are jealous, yet not able to obtain. [So] you fight and quarrel. (James 3:7-12, 4:1-2)

Such behavior was merely a continuation of the cursing and bitterness which had been taking place amongst the Jews for centuries. Paul, quoting the Old Testament scriptures, attested to this in the letter he wrote to the believers in Rome, many of whom were themselves Jewish:

Their throat is a grave that has been opened. With their tongues they practiced deceit. The poison of snakes is under their lips, from whom their mouth is full of bitterness and cursing… The way of peace they knew not. There is no fear of God before their eyes. (Romans 3:13-14, 17-18)

Therefore, because strife and infighting posed such a grave danger to the church's spiritual welfare, James advocated first and foremost controlling the tongue:

Therefore, my dear brothers, let every man be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger… [for] the tongue is a little member, yet boasts of great feats. Behold, how large a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire [kindling] a world of iniquity. Thus is the tongue becoming established within our membership, defiling the whole body and setting aflame the wheel of generation, being set on fire by Hell. (James 1:19, 3:5-6)

As will be explained later, James now gave them additional instructions on how to recognize those who were speaking true wisdom from God from those who were instead serving Satan in speaking forms of "wisdom" which only encouraged the poison of bitterness to be transferred into others:

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him demonstrate from good behavior his works through the meekness of [his] wisdom… the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, forbearing, yielding, full of pity and good fruits, does not apply double standards [and] is not hypocritical. And the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those creating peace. (James 3:13, 17-18)

War and Glory (Previous)

As covered in Part 1, jealousy, infighting and strife are now the norm more than the exception in most churches. This is also evident in what is taking place at Christian and Religious forums, where moderators are noticing how Christians are becoming increasingly bitter, insulting and abusive online. As was also touched on, this is effectively thwarting the end-time harvest rather than encouraging it.
     Thus, judgment is now being prophesied against the modern church. Christianity will be universally vilified by the world as a religion of hate in coming years, and the resulting retaliation will cause the majority of believers to begin distancing themselves from the Christian faith. While this is being prophesied in numerous other visions (as shall be demonstrated in later studies), for now let us return to the vision of "War and Glory."
     To repeat again our section covered in Part 1:

In August 1993, I had a vision of the church that was represented as an island in the middle of the sea. Many different types of buildings were all over this island, each of which I understood to represent a different denomination or movement. These buildings seemed to clash with each other architecturally, as very old ones were next to very modern ones. A war was going on between many of the buildings, and most of them looked like bombed-out shells. People were still living in the buildings, but most were starving and wounded.
     Two dark spirits over the island were directing this war. One was named Jealousy, the other Fear. Every time one of the buildings suffered damage or people were wounded, these spirits congratulated each other.
     I then saw two frightening and powerful spirits rise over the sea. These became storms. One was named Rage, the other Lawlessness. They were stirring up the sea and causing great waves to crash onto the island. Soon these storms became so large that they seemed even more threatening to the island than the war.
     I felt that the people in the city had to be warned about these storms, and several apparent watchmen were trying to do this, but no one would listen. The people only debated and argued about whether the watchmen could be trusted. This was remarkable because anyone who just looked up could see the storms for themselves, but no one would look up…
     As the war continued, even those who were not badly wounded had the appearance of phantoms, or they became grotesquely deformed from starvation and disease. People were attracted to any building receiving a supply of food. The others then targeted the building. I could not comprehend how even a war could be so cruel - and yet this was the church!
     In the midst of the battle, men were still trying to add to their buildings, or start new ones, but it was futile. Whenever one building would start to rise a little higher than the others, or any time a new building was started, it would become the main target of all the other buildings, and it would quickly be reduced to rubble.
     I was then shown many powerful leaders who were conducting this war. All of them had the same word on their foreheads: Treachery. I was surprised that anyone would follow someone with that written on them, but people did…
     Multitudes of boats and ships were all around the island, waiting to enter the city as soon as the fighting stopped. Many of these boats were full of refugees from other wars, and many were wounded. There were also ships bearing kings, presidents,, and people who appeared wealthy and prosperous. They were all afraid of the storms, but they could not enter the city because of the fighting. They were groaning and screaming so loud, in obvious despair, that I was surprised that no one in the city could hear them; no one even seemed aware that they were out there.
     Then I saw the Lord standing and watching. His glory was so great that I wondered why I had not seen Him before, or why everyone in the city did not stop to worship Him. To my amazement, no one was able to see Him. I looked into the eyes of some of the people, and they were all so bloodshot that I was surprised they could see anything.
      I wondered why the Lord did not stop the fighting; instead, He seemed content to just watch. As if He had understood my thoughts, He turned and said to me, "This is My church. These were the houses people tried to build for Me. I knocked on the door of each one, but they would not open to Me. I would have brought peace, because I will only dwell in the city of peace."
     Then He turned and indicated the people in the ships: "If I allowed all of these people to come to the city now, they would just be used in the war. When their cries become louder than the war, I will build a place for them."
     Then He looked at me with great earnestness and said, "I allowed this to happen so that it will never happen again!" It is hard to convey the power of this statement, but it imparted to me a deep understanding that He allowed this conflict to continue out of profound wisdom. He then said, "Until you understand this, you cannot understand what I am about to do." (Joyner, A Prophetic Vision For The 21st Century, P.168-171)

War and Glory (Continued)

However, there were people who appeared as lights in almost every building. These lights refused to take part in the fighting, but spent their time trying to repair the buildings or nurse the wounded. Even though it was impossible to keep up, they did not stop trying.
     Each of these lights had the power to heal wounds, and this power increased as they worked. Those who were healed became lights just like those who healed them…
     When the cries of those in the boats became louder than the conflict in the city, the Lord gave the command, and the sea was released. Great tidal waves arose and began to sweep across the island until they covered the buildings. The spirits that were storms joined the spirits over the island, and all almost doubled their previous size. Then the island completely disappeared under the darkness of the spirits and the raging sea.
      The Lord did not move as this was happening. I knew that my only protection was to stand as close to Him as possible. I could not see anything but Him during this great storm. As I looked at His face, I could see both hurt and resolve.
     Slowly, the storms died down and the tides receded… Then the Lord, who had been on the edge of the island, moved to the center and said, "Now I will build My house."
     All of those who were lights started turning toward the Lord. As they turned, they became even brighter, and each group was changed into a living pillar right where they stood. Soon it became obvious that these pillars were the framework of a building, which would almost cover the entire island…
     Then the ships and boats started landing on the island. Each ship or boat was from a different country or race of people. Soon I began to think that , even as large as the building was, there were too many people. The Lord looked at me very sternly and said, "We will build as many rooms as we need - no one will be turned away."
     This was said so sternly that I resolved never again to consider turning people away as an option. I also pondered how before the biggest problem was how to get people to come to the buildings. Now the biggest problem was what to do with all the people…
     With the addition of each new boatload of people, the transformation of those already a part of the building continued, and the glory of the whole building increased and expanded. Everyone in the building rejoiced when each new group of people came…
     Then the vision changed, and I was alone with the Lord… He looked at me earnestly and said, "The war is almost over. It is time to prepare for the storms. Tell My people that no one with His brother's blood on His hands will be used to build My house."(Joyner, A Prophetic Vision For The 21st Century, P.171-177)

This vision is far longer in length, but the above passages suffice to address the subject matter at hand in this study.

The Church: A City Once "Set On A Hill"

As leaders in the coming church, Jesus informed His disciples that they would be like a city set on a hill. The Holy Spirit would be poured out upon them to perform miracles and works of power which confirmed the word with signs and wonders following, making it virtually impossible for them to avoid notice. But He also gave them a warning: They would have to be merciful to others, love their enemies, and bless those who cursed them, for if they allowed a spirit of bitterness towards their oppressors to enter in, the Holy Spirit would be grieved by this. Were He to eventually become extinguished among them, it would leave them like a city once set on a hill that was now shrouded in darkness. Because Satan would attempt to beat the Holy Spirit out of them through persecution, affliction, hatred, ridicule, vilification and the like, Jesus was making a point of warning them not to let this happen:

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called "sons of God." Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you falsely because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in Heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
     You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt becomes tasteless, with what shall it be salted? It is henceforth good for nothing, but to be thrown out, and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world, a city situated on a mountain that cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a bushel basket, but upon a lamp stand, and it shines light for everyone in the household. Thus let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven. (Matthew 5:7-16)

What did our Lord mean when He told them, "Thus let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in Heaven"? In context, this was simply another teaching on overcoming evil with good. Though believing them to be heretics and false teachers, enemies of the gospel would eventually reconsider things when they saw how the disciples responded only in love towards those who hated them, and prayed for those who persecuted and oppressed them. Seeing them respond consistently with kindness and good will towards their oppressors would eventually cause many to repent of their ill-will, and instead glorify God on their behalf.
     This is why Jesus added just a few verses later:

You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy." But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray over those who mistreat and persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in Heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust. (Matthew 5:43-46)

As a result, the apostolic teaching was for believers to maintain a good conscience by never returning evil with evil, but to overcome evil with good by making unbelievers ashamed of their slander and insults when they saw Christians respond only with kindness:

If you should suffer on account of righteousness, blessed are you. But be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled, but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give a defense to every man who requests a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear, having a good conscience, that, whereas they may speak against you as evildoers, they may be made ashamed who speak evil of your good conduct in Christ. (1 Peter 3:14-16)

So where are we today? Instead of overcoming evil with good, the modern church has instead allowed bitterness towards her enemies to overcome her, and many now harbor a spirit of bitterness even towards their own brethren in Christ. As a result, the Spirit has largely departed from most Christian congregations. Saddest of all, He is not even missed by most, since they practice their own form of "Christianity" without Him now.
     Thus, the Lord is now outside the church trying to get back in. As He Himself stated in the above vision, "This is My church. These were the houses people tried to build for Me. I knocked on the door of each one, but they would not open to Me. I would have brought peace, because I will only dwell in the city of peace." This is clearly reminiscent of the prophecies in Revelation concerning the church of Laodicea, which the Spirit has revealed is a prophetic image of what the end-time church will be like:

“Unto the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Ruler of God’s creation, says these words [to you]: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I would have you [either] be cold or hot. Therefore, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of My mouth… Be zealous, therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone will hear My voice and open the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. I will grant to the one who overcomes the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also overcame, and sat down with My Father on His throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:14-22)

Precisely how the Lord intends to spit the lukewarm out of His mouth is described in the vision of War and Glory we have been covering here. The violence, hatred and rage that will eventually be released against the church will cause the vast majority of believers to distance themselves from the Lord. All that will remain will be those who are truly on fire for Him and love Him, as evident from the fact that they continue standing for the faith no matter what the cost.

Healing The Wounded Amid The Darkness

So what are we to do in the meantime? We are to search for those who have been wounded in the war. Why? According to the vision above as well as others the Spirit is giving (see Jude, Study #11), a state of spiritual starvation now exists in the church. Much like in ancient Israel, religious leaders are now only using the "wisdom" they are acquiring to justify exploiting the poor, and engaging in strife and debate amongst one another (Isaiah 58:1-4). With Israel, this eventually led to the Lord closing their eyes altogether to the accurate interpretation of what His prophets were saying (Isaiah 29:10-12), resulting in a great famine of the word of God spreading across the land. The words of Amos are coming true again in our time:

"Behold, the days are coming," says the Lord, "that I will send forth a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the word of the Lord. And the waters shall be troubled from sea to sea, and from the north to the east shall men run hither and thither, seeking the word of the Lord, but shall not find it. In that day shall the fair virgins and the young men faint for thirst; they who swear by the sin-offering of Samaria, and say, "Your God lives, O Dan," and "Your God lives, O Beersheba." Yet they shall fall, and no more rise again. (Amos 8:11-14, LXX)

So who, then, has ears to hear what the Spirit is now saying to the churches? Amidst the spiritual darkness that now prevails over the church, those who have been wounded in the war will be most receptive to it. Why? Because they will understand from personal experience why judgment must begin at the household of God. This will bring a renewed hope that will help turn their hearts from spiritual despondency to again seeking the Lord. As a result, they will become lights in the darkness, walking in forgiveness, love and pity towards those who once wounded them. As is stated in the vision, "Each of these lights had the power to heal wounds, and this power increased as they worked. Those who were healed themselves became lights, just like those who healed them."
     It has been said that part of the coming judgment upon the modern church will be that she will increasingly fall out of timing with what God is actually doing. Many will be at the wrong places, doing the wrong things, and preaching the wrong messages. One of the primary messages the Holy Spirit is trying to get across now is that judgment is about to begin with the household of God, and among the wounded will be the best place to look for those who have ears to hear it.

The Wisdom Required To Rebuild God's City

James gave specific instructions on how to recognize both God's true leaders, and wisdom that is truly "from above." Anyone hoping to be lights in the darkness by healing the wounded, and/or hoping to help rebuild the city of God after judgment comes upon her would do well to follow these instructions closely:

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him demonstrate from good behavior his works through meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in your heart, do not boast and lie against the truth. This is not the wisdom coming down from above, but is earthly, soulish, [and] demonic. For where jealousy and contentiousness are there is social unrest, and every evil state of affairs. But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, moderating, yielding, full of pity and good fruits, does not apply double standards, and is not hypocritical. And the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those making peace. (James 3:13-18)

First Of All Pure

By this, James simply meant wisdom that is not being incited by demonic manipulation. Ensuring that the wisdom you will speak to others is spiritually pure is done by checking it against the second greatest commandment, "Love your neighbor as yourself." Before responding, first ask yourself, "If I were in this person's shoes, what would I want me to do or say in this same situation?"
     An alternate version of this same commandment was, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Meditating on this law nearly always leads to showing pity to others, since we quickly realize we would want pity from them if it were us. And having genuine pity in our hearts for others leaves demons with very little room to operate:

If you truly do keep the royal law according to the scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well… So speak and so do as those who are about to be judged by the law of liberation, for judgment will be without pity upon the one who has not shown pity, [but] pity exalts itself over judgment. (James 2:8, 12-13)

Then Peaceable

The word peaceable is best understood in light of James closing words, "And the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those making peace." As with the Parable of the Sower, the seed of God's word cannot be sown on hard, unreceptive ground, such as near a path. It ends up being a waste of time because "the birds of the air," i.e. demonic spirits, will simply swoop in and devour what was sown before it ever takes root. Wisdom from above, therefore, will never force itself upon anyone, knowing that this will only cause the hearer to build up a resistance against it. Instead, it will simply wait until it can be "sown in peace," i.e. at a time when the person is more receptive.
     For wisdom to be "peaceable," it goes without saying that one must remain at peace himself:

A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words arouse anger… A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger calms a dispute. (Proverbs 15:1, 18)

Forbearing

The goal is bringing about spiritual growth, even if it must be slow growth under the circumstances. When resistance is encountered, wisdom from above is forbearing of others, and doesn't insist that they choke on teaching they are not spiritually ready for yet.
     This is why the apostle Paul fed the Corinthians milk instead of meat:

But I, brothers, was unable to speak to you as to those who were spiritual, but as to those who were fleshly, as unto infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not meat, for you were not yet able, and even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For where there is jealousy and contention among you, are you not fleshly and walk in accordance with men? (1 Corinthians 3:1-3)

Yielding

Once another person's anger has been kindled, the best option is to yield, much like yielding at an intersection. As already stated, the word can only be sown in peace, and if you press the issue when the other person is becoming contentious, you will have only yourself to blame for the resulting confrontation. The foolish continue to insist on defending themselves and their positions even after things have turned ugly. The wise, however, will switch gears, slowing their responses. If necessary, they will bring the conversation to a complete halt by no longer responding at all.
     This is where the ability to control one's tongue is especially important. Above all, true wisdom will seek to prevent spiritual uncleanness from gaining a foothold, not only in his own heart but in the hearts of those he's trying to bring growth and healing to:

Therefore, my brothers, let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath… If anyone presumes to be religious yet bridles not his tongue, this man's religion is in vain. Clean and undefiled religion before [our] God and Father is this: To visit orphans and widows in their oppression, [and] to keep oneself unblemished from the world. (James 1:19, 26-27)

Full Of Pity, And Good Fruits

Pity leads to forbearance, in that pity motivates believers to overlook sins committed against them. Instead, they understand that those given over to anger, bitterness, jealousy and resentment are allowing themselves to be used by demonic spirits, and are in need of spiritual help. The fruit of faith, hope and love also play roles here - hope in particular - since in order to remain long-suffering towards those who harbor evil, one must continually walk in the hope that they will eventually have ears to hear, and awake out of the Devil's snare.
     This is what Paul was teaching in Second Timothy:

A slave of the Lord ought not be contentious, but gentle towards all, able to teach, forbearing, in meekness chastising those who oppose him, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to a recognition of the truth, and they may awake out of the Devil's snare, having been taken captive by him to do his will. (2 Timothy 2:24-26)

Doesn't Apply Double Standards

The Jews in particular had a big problem with this one, but Christians do as well, especially when they assume God does not see their sins anymore because they are "washed in the blood." Those who apply double standards enjoy being judgmental and condemning towards others, but in doing so they only bring condemnation upon themselves, in keeping with the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant (see Matthew 18:21-35).
     As Jesus also taught in the Sermon on the Mount:

Condemn not, that you be not condemned. For with whatever judgment you judge, you shall be judged. And with whatever measure you use, it shall be measured to you. (Matthew 7:1-2)

This is why Paul warned the Jewish believers in Rome not to condemn unbelievers for sins they were themselves committing. Simply being in relationship with the One True God would not protect them from judgment if they themselves continued to walk in disobedience. Moreover, it is a complete misrepresentation of the truth, regarding which James told his readers, "Do not boast, and lie against the truth" (James 3:14):

But, O man, you judging those doing such things yet practicing them [yourself], do you estimate that you shall escape the judgment of God?…  To those [acting] out of contentiousness, and disobeying the truth but instead obeying unrighteousness [shall come] indignation and wrath, affliction and anguish upon every soul of man perpetrating evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek… For there is no respect of persons with God. (Romans 2:3, 8-9, 11)

Is Not Hypocritical

The word Hypocrite means simply, "An actor, i.e. someone who puts on an act." Out of pride, resentment, and/or feelings of spiritual inadequacy, some assume a position of superiority over others as part of a religious act. The truly wise, however, have no need to elevate themselves above anyone, nor defend their relationship with God or their doctrinal positions. They remain at peace, and in position to receive wisdom from God to help others with, having the confidence that a genuine walk with the Lord brings.   

But why do you look at the speck that is in your brothers eye, but do not perceive the beam that is in your own eye? Or how are you able to say to your brother, "Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye," while yourself not seeing the beam that is in your own eye? Hypocrite, first take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye. (Luke 6:41-42)

And The Fruit Of Righteousness Is Sown In Peace

Where jealousy and contentiousness are, there is restlessness and every evil consequence, but... the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those making peace. (James 3:14, 18)

James ends with this closing line. The "fruit of righteousness" here refers to the seed of the word of God, i.e. the spiritual seed of revelations, which are the "fruit" of a righteous man's life. But to be sown in peace, the believer knows he must wait, searching for the right time to deposit the seed in soft, receptive ground. The result is that peace is made between those who were formerly contentious.
     But those who take pleasure in contentiousness, however, will not wait, for "where jealousy and contentiousness are, there is restlessness and every evil consequence." James stated earlier that "the tongue is a restless evil, full of death-dealing poison." In other words, their tongue is ever restless, and like a coiled snake on guard and prepared to lash out in an instant against anyone who opposes their opinions. This is again why James stated, "Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger" (James 1:19). 

In Closing

For those who hadn't noticed, all these commandments are based on the principle of loving your neighbor as yourself. And as James stated early in the letter, this is the sort of commandment that must be meditated on continually. Those who survive the judgment that is coming will be those who are consistently placing this law before their eyes, and as a result continually seeking to build up God's kingdom even as others are working to tear it down.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:45:28 PM by Hidden In Him »