Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:31 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:37:18 PM
awe-inspiring first encounter girls

https://url.epoch.tw/JM0wr

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:02:24 AM
ripsnorting uncovered girls

Johnnyhoppy

February 23, 2024, 10:39:30 PM
far-out unembellished girls

ytmp3music

September 23, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
Titanic post! I couldn't coincide more with your points. It's happy to give some thought to such mindful insights shared here.
Youtube to mp3 converter
<a href="https://www.ytmp3.to">Youtube to mp3 converter</a>

Hidden In Him

March 02, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
What a beautiful Spring day! Glory to God!

Hidden In Him

January 07, 2022, 06:49:10 PM
Alive and well!  :)

Happy 2022! This is gonna be a good one. I can feel it, Lol.

MoreBloodWine

December 30, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
You alive Chris ?

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Calendar

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 363
  • Total Topics: 257
  • Online Today: 49
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Author Topic: Colossians 1:29-2:7  (Read 1959 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
Colossians 1:29-2:7
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »
The Greater Gifts, And Qualifications For Receiving Them

In our next passage, Paul describes a truly incredible spiritual gift he walked in during his time in ministry: The ability to supernaturally see what was going on in the Gentile congregations he was writing to without actually being there. In some cases, such as with the Colossians, he had never actually met them in the flesh even once. Yet supernaturally the Lord was enabling him to observe their services in the Spirit, and the order they were maintaining while operating in spiritual gifts. This enabled him to pray more specifically concerning them, which is the subject matter he now begins addressing in our next passage in Colossans:

[We are] admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him, unto which end I also labor [in prayer], agonizing with all the supernatural energy of Him who is at work within me in power. For I want you to know what great agonizing I endure over you and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, [praying] that their hearts, having been united together in love, might also be exhorted to attain unto all the riches of assurance that comes through understanding, and attain unto a recognition of the mystery of God which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And I say this so that no one may delude you with persuasive teaching. For indeed if I am absent in the flesh yet I am with you in the Spirit, rejoicing and beholding your order, and the firmness of your faith in Christ.
     As you received Christ Jesus the Lord, therefore, walk in Him, having become rooted and built up in Him, and confirmed in the faith even as you were taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. (Colossians 1:29-2:7)

What purpose did the gift of being able to see in the Spirit serve? Jesus operated in this gift as well, and for Him it appears to have been for the purpose of confirming His Messiahship by demonstrating the power of God. As recorded in John's Gospel when Jesus was still choosing His disciples:

Jesus saw Nathaniel coming to Him, and said concerning him, "Behold, truly an Israelite, in whom there is no deceit." Nathaniel said to him, "From where do you know me?" Jesus answered, and said to him, "Before Phillip called you, I saw you under the fig tree." Nathaniel answered Him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God. You are the King of Israel." (John 1:47-49)

The same thing occurred when Jesus revealed this gift while talking with the woman at the well. After telling her that He knew all about her personal life through the power of God, she began to perceive He might be the Messiah, and went to others about it:

There came a woman out of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me to drink," for His disciples had gone away into the city, that they might buy provisions. The Samaritan woman therefore said to Him, "How do you, being a Jew, request a drink from me, being a Samaritan woman? For no Jews associate with Samaritans." Jesus answered and said to her, "If you had known the gift of God, and who it is saying to you, 'Give me to drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given living water to you... Everyone drinking of this water will thirst again, but whosoever may drink of the water which I will give him will never thirst, but the water which I shall give him shall become a spring of water springing up within him unto eternal life." And the woman said to Him, "Sir, give to me this water that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw." Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband and come back here." The woman answered and said, "I do not have a husband." Jesus said to her, "Well did you say, 'I have no husband,' for five husbands have you had, and the one whom you have now is not your husband. This you ave spoken truly." The woman said to Him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet"... the woman then left her water pot and went her way into the city, and said to the men, "Come, see a man which told me all the things I ever did. Is not this the Christ?" (John 4:7-10, 13-19, 28-29)

But this gift is also given to believers as well, as was clearly the case with the apostle Paul. I have known people personally who have operated in a form of this gift on occasion; ordinary believers whom the Lord has given the spiritual sight to see things in the Spirit. One reported that he and some others met regularly to pray in the Spirit before going out to evangelize, and sometimes the Lord would allow one of them to see an individual seated in a particular place whom they were to go minister to. When they got there, the person who had been seen in the Spirit was indeed sitting there, and was open to hearing the gospel when it was preached to him.
     I know of another sister who would see certain people in a vision and months later run across the exact person she had seen on the street, so even in our time it is not unheard of for this gift to be in operation among ordinary believers. But if available, what all would be involved in receiving such a gift? Is it something we should be seeking after, and if so, what would qualify us for receiving it, or some of the other of what Paul referred to as the greater gifts?

Protecting Congregations From The Deceiver

But what was God's purpose for Paul to be operating in seeing in the Spirit? The knee jerk reaction would be to simply say that it was because he was apostle, and the Lord granted him this gift to confirm his apostleship. But a closer look at what Paul was actually saying here reveals something different. Firstly, despite having been baptized in the Holy Spirit to where they were operating in supernatural gifts, many of Paul's early Gentile congregations had not yet fully grasped what the implications of this actually meant. They didn't fully comprehend that divine utterance going forth among them meant that Christ Himself was present among them, and speaking forth through them.
     Paul wanted this understood because Satan was continually sending in heretics to lead many astray; men who claimed to posses greater "spiritual authority" and wisdom than the apostles. But as Paul now told them, all wisdom and knowledge was hidden in Christ, and because He was now manifesting Himself among them and speaking through them, they did not need any new "authorities" teaching them anything.
     But this was Paul's continual fear, and thus what he was specifically praying for Gentile churches to understand, so they be protected from deception. Returning again to our passage, his wording specifically stated:

I want you to know what great anguish I am expressing over you and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, that their hearts, having been united together in love might also be exhorted to attain unto all the riches of assurance that come through understanding [and] attain unto a recognition of the mystery of God which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And I say this so that no one may delude you with persuasive teaching... Take heed that there not be anyone robbing you through philosophy and empty deceit, in accordance with the tradition of men, in accordance with the basic principles of the world, and not in accordance with Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and having become perfected, you are in Him who is the Head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:1-4, 8-10)

The apostle John told his readers virtually the exact same thing, only in slightly different words:

I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. But as for you, the anointing you received from Him abides in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as His anointing teaches you all things, and as that anointing is real and not counterfeit, abide in Him, just as He has taught you. (1 John 2:26-27)

But these continual attempts by Satan to send in deceivers among the churches reveals why Paul bore daily the anxieties over the spiritual condition of the churches (2 Corinthians 11:28). A good example of his anxieties is seen in what Paul said to the Galatians, expressing fears that Satan might possibly lead them astray as well:

I am jealous over you with a jealousy from God, for I betrothed you unto one Man, [even] to present you as a pure virgin unto Christ. But I fear lest by some means just as the serpent deceived Eve in his craftiness, so too should your thoughts be corrupted from simplicity unto Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:2-3)

Simplicity to Christ was nearly always what Satan was trying to lead Christians away from (as here with the Colossians as well), and one of Paul's biggest problems was that he could not get to these churches in person to see exactly what was going on, and prevent them from being deceived. He mentioned this specifically to the church in Thessalonica:

Having been bereaved of you for an hour of time, brothers, in person, not in heart, [yet] having a great desire, we were more abundantly eager to see your face, to which end we wished to come to you, indeed I Paul, not once but twice. But Satan hindered us. (1 Thessalonians 2:17-18)

This then explains why God may have given Paul this gift of being able to see in the Spirit what was taking place in the Gentile congregations. Despite not being able to get to them personally, by seeing what was going on in the Spirit, he could pray for them more specifically, having a more accurate knowledge of what they were truly up against and how they were doing.

Agonizing In Prayer, With Inexpressible Groanings

But there is yet another reason why Paul may have received this gift: The anguish he voiced unto God on behalf of others may have moved the Lord deeply. Bearing up under his anxieties over the churches, Paul's prayers apparently took on a different quality; he anguished unto the Lord to know the spiritual condition of the churches. The word "anguishing" used in Colossians 2:1 was ἀγωνίζομαι, which literally meant to "go through agony." Paul used a compound of this same Greek word in Romans 15:30 when he told them, “I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of the Spirit, agonize together with me in prayers unto God."
     This, then, is what he was doing in behalf of the Colossians. In another place, he described such prayers as manifesting in the form of "groanings that could not be uttered." As he told those in Rome:

Likewise the Spirit also helps our weakness, for we do not know what we should pray for as necessary, but the Spirit Himself offers intercession with inexpressible groanings. And He who searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, for He intercedes on behalf of the saints in accordance with God. (Romans 8:26-27)

Paul also did not simply go to God occasionally with intercessions. If his letters are any indication, he prayed for others incessantly. To the Corinthians he wrote, "I thank God always concerning you for the grace of God having been given to you in Christ Jesus" (1 Corinthians 1:4). To the Philippians, "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always making request with joy in every prayer of mine for you all" (Philippians 1:3-4). To the Thessalonians, "We give thanks to God always for you, making mention of you in our prayers" (1 Thessalonians 1:2). Again later, "We are bound to thank God always for you, brothers, as it is fitting" (2 Thessalonians 1:3a). To Philemon, "I thank my God, always making mention of you in my prayers" (Philemon 1:4). To Timothy, "Without ceasing I have remembrance of you in my prayers night and day" (2 Timothy 1:3). And now here to the Colossians, "We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, continually praying for you" (Colossians 1:3). 
     Thus, Paul was clearly a man who prayed incessantly for the churches, and not just ordinary prayers but fervent intercessions unto God, speaking with inexpressible groanings in the Spirit, anguishing in prayer for them day and night. And as we're about to see, this may have been another reason why greater gifts played such a pronounced role in his life and ministry. God granted him the ability to see in the Spirit because of his incredible love for others, and his continual intercessions on their behalf.

Pursuing Love, In Praying For The Gifts

In Chapter 12 of 1st Corinthians, Paul began a long teaching on how to operate in spiritual gifts. He ended this Chapter by saying he would now show them a better way to seek the greater gifts; a way "in keeping with excellence":

But concerning the spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant... [for] there are variations of workings, but it is the same God performing them all within all. And there is being granted unto each one a manifestation of the Spirit to be of benefit. For to one the word of wisdom is being given by the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to a different one faith in the one Spirit, yet to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to a different person various kinds of tongues, and [yet] to another the interpretation of tongues... Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? Be zealous for the greater gifts, and yet I will show you a way that is in keeping with excellence. (1 Corinthians 12:1, 6-10, 30-31)

He then went on to teach that this better way to seek the greater gifts was when you were seeking them out of love for others, and a desire to be of greater benefit to them. As he now argued, operating in love for others should always be the motivation, since gifts like speaking in tongues and prophesying would one day cease, but walking in love would continue on forever:

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And if I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have love, I am nothing... Love never falls out of use. But whether there be prophecies, they shall be set aside; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be set aside. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when that which is perfect comes, that which is in part will be set aside... for now we see through a glass darkly, as in an enigma, but then we will see face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know even as I have been known. (1 Corinthians 13:1-2, 8-10, 12)

Paul was here explaining why even some of the greater gifts would one day cease. The reason was they were imperfect, even during New Testament times just as they were in Old Testament times. This is because prophetic revelation often came through dreams and visions, which contained obscure symbolism whose meanings had to be discerned through the Spirit. The analogy he used here was of looking through ancient glass, which was blurry. Muscovite was a mineral that formed naturally into thin transparent sheets, and if held to light was somewhat transparent and colorless. But unlike modern glass, one could only see through it "darkly," making careful analysis necessary if one would make out what was being seen accurately.     

But this would not be the case when they got to Heaven. Then they would be with the Lord face to face where He could explain things clearly, without need of any obscure symbolism. Where did Paul get this teaching from? He was quoting from the Book of Numbers, where God Himself drew this same comparison between Moses and the Old Testament prophets:

Then the Lord came down in a pillar of cloud. He stood at the entrance to the tent, and summoned Aaron and Miriam. When the two of them stepped forward, He said, “Listen to My words. When there is a prophet among you, I the Lord reveal Myself to him in visions. I speak to him in dreams. But this is not true of My servant Moses. He is faithful in all My house. With him I speak face to face clearly, and not in enigmas. He sees the [very] form of the Lord. Why, then, were you not afraid to speak against My servant Moses?” (Numbers 12:5-8 )

For him to cite this passage in the middle of Chapter 13, the "Love Chapter," means Paul was still talking about how to operate in spiritual gifts, and pointing out that the better way to do so was out of love for others. They should seek the greater gifts because these would be of greater benefit to others. This was the driving point in the rest of his teaching:

But now remains these three: faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love. [Therefore] pursue love and be zealous for the spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy. For the one speaking in a tongue speaks not unto men but God, for no one hears him, yet in the Spirit he speaks mysteries. Yet the one prophesying speaks edification and encouragement and consolation unto men. The one speaking in a tongue edifies himself, but the one prophesying edifies the congregation. And I want all of you to speak in tongues, but rather that you should prophesy. Greater is the one prophesying than the one speaking in tongues, unless he should interpret, that the congregation may receive edification. (1 Corinthians 13:13-14:5)

In other words, if they were truly pursuing love in praying for the gifts, they would pray for those gifts that would be of the most benefit to others, not just themselves.

Travailing Until Christ Became Fully Formed

Receiving the greater gifts is actually part of God's ultimate calling for Christian congregations. It constitutes Him becoming "fully formed" within a church. Paul referred to this specifically as something he was praying would take place among the Galatians, something he was "travailing in prayer" to take place:

My little children, for whom I travail again until Christ shall have been formed in you, I was wishing to be present with you now and to change my voice, for I am perplexed regarding you... (Galatians 4:19-20)

Paul prayed the same thing for the Ephesians; that Christ become fully formed in them, and that they not just comprehend "the width and length and depth and height" of Christ, but attain unto the "measure of the stature of the Fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13). In other words, he was praying that they continue growing in Christ until all the gifts were in manifestation among them, and they thus be filled with all the Fullness of God:

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory... to be filled with all the Fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14-16, 18b)

Many today have trouble understanding what be "filled with all the Fulness of God" actually means, but it's actually quite simple. To be filled with His Fulness was simply to be filled with the Holy Spirit completely, as took place on the Day of Pentecost, when the disciples were "filled with the Spirit" and began speaking in Divine utterance. His Fulness fell so strongly that tongues of fire were visibly seen to come and rest upon the disciples: 

And when the day of Pentecost was to be completed, they were all together in the same place. And suddenly a sound as of the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared tongues as of fire being distributed unto them, and sat upon each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit was giving them to speak. (Acts 2:1-4)

This, then, is the same thing Paul wanted the Galatians and other congregations to experience; the Fullness of God being poured out upon them, such that the supernatural gifts were powerfully in manifestation. That is in fact how we can know His Fulness is present among us today. When the supernatural gifts are powerfully in manifestation, we can know that we have become filled with all the Fulness of God.
     How, then, does all this relate to the individual believer? It is my personal opinion that God ultimately wants His Fullness to be poured out upon entire congregations rather than individuals. He desires that each member operate in their own particular gift so that none are left out from ministering in the Spirit, because He does not want anyone being deemed a "less important" member of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:15-26). But during this time of spiritual blindness, when so few seem to even know what being "filled with all the Fullness of God" even means, what is our God to do to demonstrate His power? What vessels can He use?
     Though not God's best, I think God can and will grant individual believers all the gifts under certain circumstances if necessary. Smith Wigglesworth is said to have operated in every single one of the supernatural gifts at one point or another in his ministry. While this may be an embellishment, from his writings it is clear that he at least felt it was possible. According to Wigglesworth's writings, individuals and not just churches were to be praying that all the Fulness of God manifest within them, thereby praying that Christ become fully formed within them individually and not just corporately:

To be filled with the Holy Ghost is to be filled with the Executive of the Godhead, who brings to us all the Father has and all the Son desires. And we should so live in the Spirit that God can cause us to move with His authority and reign by His divine ability. God would have us see that we must be filled with the Spirit, every day live in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit, and be continually renewed in the Spirit.
     The Holy Ghost coming upon an individual is capable of filling him with such power and grace that he may not be able to foresee what would happen... [But] there must be a real travailing of the human heart for God to bring forth that power... I am hungry that I may be more full, that God may choose me for His service. And I know that the greatest qualification is to be filled with the Spirit. “Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people” (Acts 6:8 ). The Holy Ghost could do mighty things through this man because he believed God, and God is with anyone who dares to believe His Word. All things were possible because of the Holy Ghost’s position in Stephen’s body. He was full of the Holy Ghost, so God could fulfill His purposes through him.
     God wants you to know by experience what it means to be more than a conqueror. The baptism in the Holy Spirit has come for nothing less than to empower you, to give you the very power that Christ Himself had, so that you, a yielded vessel, may continue the same type of ministry that Jesus had when He walked this earth in the days of His flesh. He purposes that you (personally) should come behind in no gift." (Wigglesworth, The Anointing of His Spirit)
https://gpan.lynnehammond.org/prayer-summary-for-january-25-2/

To Those Earnestly Desiring The Greater Gifts

If you are reading this and seeking the greater gifts, whether for you or your congregation, do not get discouraged. Some will argue the gifts are no longer for today, and cite those operating in false gifts as "proof" of it. Even among those who believe the gifts are still for today, some will warn you not to become too consumed with pursuing them lest you "get your eyes of Jesus." I have had friends cite the story of Lazarus in Hell to point out that for some, even seeing the supernatural take place won't convince them of the truth of God's word.
     As the passage goes:

Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, making good cheer during the day in splendor. And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid up at his porch, being full of sores, and desiring to be satisfied from the crumbs which fell from the table of the rich man. But coming, even the dogs licked his sores. And it came to pass that the poor man died, and he was carried away by the angels into "the Bosom of Abraham." And the rich man also died and was buried. And having lifted up his eyes in Hell, being in torment, he saw Abraham from afar, and Lazarus in his bosom. And crying out, he said, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering in these flames." But Abraham said, "Son, remember that you received your good things during your lifetime, and Lazarus likewise received evil things. But here he is comforted, and you are in pain. And amongst those here, between all of you and all of us, a great chasm has been firmly established, so that those who wish to pass from here to all of you are unable, nor can anyone pass from there to us." And He said, "I beseech you then, father, that you would send him to the house of my father, for I have five brothers, so that he may earnestly testify to them, that they may not also come to this place of torment." But Abraham said to him, "They have Moses and the prophets. Let them hear them." But he said, "No, father Abraham, but if one should rise from the dead before them, they will repent." But he said to him, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, they will not be persuaded even if one should rise from the dead." (Luke 16:19-31)

The problem with their argument is that the subjects described in this account were those who refused to believe the truth under any circumstances whatsoever, even should they see someone raised from the dead. This is not the case with everyone, however, as can be seen in the case with doubting Thomas. Even someone whom the Lord personally chose to be one of His twelve disciples refused to believe in His bodily resurrection unless he received supernatural proof of it (John 20:24:31). So, too, are there some today who could be powerful servants of the Lord Jesus Christ once they became convinced, will never invest their entire lives in serving the Lord without some form of supernatural proof He is God. Already, numerous Muslims who have attested  that they came to faith in Christ as a result of receiving a heavenly vision or dream. In these dreams and visions He appeared to them as God and not just a prophet, and many have professed that they would never have come to faith in the Lord without that experience. 
     This is to say nothing of the fact that the gospel was being preached not in word only but in power, and being confirmed by signs and wonders following. The truth is, arguments like these are being used as excuses for not seeking the greater gifts through intensive prayer as Paul urged the churches. Disregard them, but at the same time make sure you pursue love in seeking the greater gifts. Many are simply misguided and don't know what it is they are opposing. They think they are doing God a favor in warning against "false prophets," They, too, need to be delivered from the falsehoods and lies the Devil has fed God's people for far too long, so they can go forth confirming the word with signs and wonders following, and ministering to others in the supernatural power of God rather than simply in the flesh.

Blessings in Christ to all who read this study,
Hidden In Him   

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:46:32 PM by Hidden In Him »