Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:31 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:37:18 PM
awe-inspiring first encounter girls

https://url.epoch.tw/JM0wr

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:02:24 AM
ripsnorting uncovered girls

Johnnyhoppy

February 23, 2024, 10:39:30 PM
far-out unembellished girls

ytmp3music

September 23, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
Titanic post! I couldn't coincide more with your points. It's happy to give some thought to such mindful insights shared here.
Youtube to mp3 converter
<a href="https://www.ytmp3.to">Youtube to mp3 converter</a>

Hidden In Him

March 02, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
What a beautiful Spring day! Glory to God!

Hidden In Him

January 07, 2022, 06:49:10 PM
Alive and well!  :)

Happy 2022! This is gonna be a good one. I can feel it, Lol.

MoreBloodWine

December 30, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
You alive Chris ?

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Calendar

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 363
  • Total Topics: 257
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 105
Total: 105

Author Topic: James 1:9-12  (Read 2654 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
James 1:9-12
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:58:39 PM »
Earthly Prosperity, And The Sandstorm That Is Now Approaching

There were two types of "prosperity" the New Testament saints were pursuing. The first was a faith tried like gold in the fires of trials and sufferings. The Lord Himself encouraged the church at Smyrna to seek it, and He was was talking about the same thing we discussed in the first two studies; a faith that endured even the persecutions the Devil was subjecting them to, especially through unbelieving Jews. If they endured what was coming, they would receive "the crown of life" the Lord promised to those who finished their race:

And to the angel of the church in Smyrna, write, "These things say the First and the Last, the One who was dead, yet lived. I know your affliction and poverty, yet you are rich. And [I know] the blasphemy coming from those who declare themselves to be Jews, yet are not, but are of the synagogue of Satan. Do not fear the things which you are about to suffer. Behold, the Devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be put through trials, and you will suffer affliction for ten days. Be faithful unto death, and I will give to you the crown of life." (Revelations 2:8-10)

New Testament saints needed to pursue understanding from God's word as well, for as we shall see it was another form of spiritual "riches" they were to be seeking. But the temptation within Judaism was to pursue earthly prosperity instead, and this mentality was now creeping back into the church. So James was now warning them that a storm was coming, which would soon sweep away the material riches of the world, so believers needed to be seeking what would last. A "rich" man's status in this life was only temporary, and only what would endure the test of time would remain:

But let the lowly brother boast in his exalted status, yet the rich [man] in his lowly status, for like the flower of the grass he shall pass away. For the sun arose with the scorching wind and withered the grass, and its flower fell out, and the beauty of its appearance perished. So also shall the rich man die away in the midst of his travels. "Blessed" is the man who endures trials, for after he has been proven he shall receive the crown of life which the Lord promised to those who love Him. (James 1:9-12)

James lifted the verses in this passage from the Book of Isaiah, where the prophet once spoke about the great and fearful Day of the Lord that was coming, and how princes and kings - the rich of this world - would eventually wither like flowers in the heat of His wrath. Those left standing would be those who had faithfully endured until the end in serving Him:

A voice cries in the wilderness, "Prepare the way of the Lord. Make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low... And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” A voice said, “Cry!” And I said, “What shall I cry?" "All flesh is grass, and all its beauty is like the flower of the field. The grass withers [and] the flower fades when the breath of the Lord blows upon it. Surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God endures forever"... Behold, the Lord God comes with might, and His arm rules for Him. Behold, His reward is with Him, and His recompense before Him. He will tend His flock like a shepherd… [but He] brings princes to nothing, and makes the rulers of the earth as a desert wasteland. Scarcely are they planted, scarcely sown, scarcely has their stem taken root in the earth, when He blows upon them and they wither, and the storm carries them off like stubble. (Isaiah 40:3-8, 10-11, 22-24)

That every "valley and mountain would be brought low" was a reference to the fall of earthly kingdoms, whereas valley being "lifted up" was a reference to the church, i.e. the kingdom of God, which would assume rulership over the earth at His second coming. Thus, His return would be like a storm, and it would reveal all flesh to be as grass and stubble.
     The analogy both Isaiah and James were using here was of a phenomenon in the Mediterranean world called a Sirocco, or desert sandstorm:

Sirocco is a Mediterranean wind that comes from the Sahara and can reach hurricane speeds in North Africa and Southern Europe, especially during the summer season... The dust within the sirocco winds can cause abrasion in mechanical devices and penetrate buildings. Sirocco winds with speeds of up to 100 km/h (62 mph; 54 kn) are most common during autumn and spring. They reach a peak in March and in November when it is very hot. (Wikipedia, Sirocco)

This was the "scorching wind" James was referring to, for siroccos are still common in regions like Palestine and Iraq to this day, and known to destroy crops and cause significant damage to all plant life, including the grass. Thus James was warning that the Lord's return would have this effect on the rich, and not to pursue wealth instead of righteousness. Like all the New Testament writers, he believed Christ's return was imminent, so the time had come to pursue spiritual riches instead. By letter's end, the warnings will be giving about this will become increasingly clear:

Come now, you rich men, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you, and will eat your flesh like fire... 7 Be patient, therefore, brethren... for the coming of the Lord is at hand. (James 5:1-3, 7)

Worst of all, the pursuit of earthly wealth can actually hinder and interfere with one's ability to pursue spiritual wealth, which is why the Lord Himself taught about the impossibility of serving both God and money. 

The Futility Of Serving Two Masters

Though Christ's return would not come in their lifetime, Christians in the early church would nevertheless live to see the conquest of Jerusalem at the hands of the Romans, and the destruction of the Jewish temple just as Jesus had prophesied (Matthew 24:1-2). God's judgment finally came against them, and the treasures of the Temple were carted back to Rome as trophies of war. Rich Jews who had invested their lives in accumulating wealth lost everything, including their lives in many cases, when their property was confiscated and subsumed by the Roman army.
     This is why the Lord had taught to seek spiritual "treasures" instead, telling His disciples that they were blessed because of everything they could see spiritually:

Blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear. For assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it... Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of Heaven is like a householder, who brings out of his treasure things both new and old.” (Matthew 13:16-17, 52)

Things "new and old" here was a reference to revelations of God from both the Old and New Testaments. He taught on eight different parables in the context of saying these words to them, so His teaching was to be rich spiritually, so at to be able to show others the treasures you had amassed from seeing what others didn't see, and hearing what others didn't hear.
     This is why giving oneself to seeking material wealth instead was such a terrible mistake, for there was no way to do both. As Jesus would also teach them, it was like trying to serve two masters, and in such situations only one could be served: 

24 No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon. 25 Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:25-34)

There was to be a continual growth in the knowledge of God, so that the spiritually rich became even richer, while those who chose to remain spiritually poor would become even poorer. Jesus taught this principle as well, warning about the spiritual "haves and have nots" as it were, and that those who had would gain even more, but those who had not would eventually lose even what little they had:

And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. (Matthew 13:10-13)

This is the same principle the Lord was teaching in the Parable of the Talents, and here the exact same message was put forward, meaning that the talents (that is, bags of gold) represented spiritual wealth, and more particularly revelations from God.

Again, [the kingdom of Heaven] will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five talents more. So also, the one with two talents gained two more. But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his lord's money.
     After a long time the lord of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five talents brought the other five, saying, "Lord, you delivered unto me five talents. Behold, I have gained five more."
     His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!"
     And having come, the one given two talents said, "Lord, you delivered unto me two talents. Behold, I have gained two more."
     His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!"
     But having come, the one who had received one talent said, "Lord, I knew that you were a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter seed. And being fearful, having gone I went and hid your talent in the ground. Behold, you have what is yours."
     His lord replied, "You wicked and lazy servant! You knew that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not scattered seed? Then you should have put my silver on deposit with the bankers, and then having come I would have received mine own with interest."
     "Therefore, take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. For unto everyone who has shall more be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what he has shall be taken from him. And cast into outer darkness the useless servant. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:15-30)

To "go and work" with the riches God had given them represented sharing the revelations God had given them with others, which in turn would cause it to grow and increase. There is an old saying that, "Those who teach, learn," and this is true in spiritual things as well. It is when we share with others what God has taught us that we open the door for more in our own lives, in part because conversation leads to new questions, and to searching for new answers. This is why the man who simply buried his one talent in the earth and hid it away was condemned so strongly. He could have at least "given it to the bankers," which here likely represented sharing it with Rabbis that would have at least made it known to others, so that the Lord might have had at least some return on His investment. Instead, the wicked servant told no one, but hid away what he was shown so that no one could see it.
     Thus, the teaching was to serve One Master and One alone, and devote one's life to becoming ever richer spiritually, and making others richer in the process. This was an especially wise thing to do given that those who were pursuing material wealth in Israel were about to have it all taken away, which He had also prophesied accurately, at least to those who were listening to Him. 

Preparing Wisely For The Coming Storm

Signs are evident that the return of the Lord Jesus Christ actually is now approaching, only as took place in Judea during New Testament times, the destruction to the world's economy is set to take place even before it arrives. As a result, believers need to be preparing for what is coming, only many are not preparing for it in the way the Lord advised us to.
     A study was done in 1972 by a group of scholars at MIT to map out what the future could look like by 2040, given a whole host of variables that were alternately placed into the equation. In 2020, a follow up study was done using the same equations, and they came to the conclusion we are currently ahead of schedule on what the original contributors dubbed "the Business As Usual 2" scenario, which predicted the complete collapse of society by 2040. This collapse would be exacerbated by population decline and resource depletion, which would eventually cause industrial production to grind to a halt over much of the planet.
     The following video explains it, beginning at around 14:52.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOTPAxrrP4

Some within Christian circles think the idea is therefore to store up as much wealth and provisions as possible, but those paying attention to what the Spirit is saying to the churches know that hoarding up money will not be the solution. Several have prophesied that in some ways, owning wealth in the time that is coming will simply make one a target. As John Paul Jackson prophesied in 2008:

On the economic side of things, a bubble of hope is going to come to this nation (this was fulfilled during the period from 2016 - 2020), but it will be short-lived. In that span, there's going to be just enough time for godly people to make the necessary adjustments. However, it will not be a time to take on additional debt. Commercial paper and credit card debt is another domino that will fall, as joblessness increases and buildings lay empty. I saw malls that were more than half empty, and stores that were closed in strip malls... One thing we will see, and I have prayed against this, but we are going to see the worst riots in history. Some may call them "race riots," but they actually may be more economic in nature, as economic difficulties cause mobs to roam the streets, and a "Robin Hood" mentality begins to escalate. In other words, taking from the rich in order to give to the poor. (The Coming Perfect Storm, John Paul Jackson, YouTube)

Jackson was an interpreter of prophetic dreams, and in one of his other videos I recall him describing seeing an entire subdivision that had been completely gutted, and all that remained were the bricks of the chimney stacks where the rich once lived. These things will take place because lawlessness and mob rule will take over, as was also prophesied by Rick Joyner back in 1980. The true church will grow in spiritual strength, but the world will descend into chaos and complete societal breakdown.

As the church grows in faith and clarity of vision, the earth will be swept with wave after wave of paranoia. This will increase until no government on earth will be able to control its people. Mobs, sometimes numbering hundreds of thousands, will be sweeping about destroying everything in their path. Plagues, natural disasters and conflicts will bring about such loss of life that it will be nearly impossible to bury all of the dead. Men will be desperately seeking anyone to take authority over them for their protection, but no one will be willing. The remaining governments will be little more than gangs who have banded together to protect their own interests or to plunder the weak. (Joyner, The Harvest, P.53)

There was also an extended vision given to Rick Joyner I can share later, but the gist of it was that the only blessed place to be in will be in the church of Jesus Christ. The criminal element will grow in power and strength until having money will simply one a target. In this vision, gangs and criminal forces were compared to warships that were constancy looting others for their wealth, which made even the luxury liners (i.e. the wealthy) somewhat filthy places to live. The only clean, glorious, and prosperous ships to be on were the hospital ships, which represented the church. This is because the Lord provided them with plenty of supplies, and yet the warships would leave them alone because they were the only faction truly trying to help people, and rescue the wounded.
     In short, what all this means is that the wisest way to prepare for the coming storm is to invest in a close personal relationship with the Lord, for He will provide even supernaturally for those who master the ability to trust in Him. As the world sinks ever deeper into anxiety and despair, and governments can no longer protect or provide for their people, the church will ascend to become the true beacon of hope for humanity. But it will be because she has learned to trust God for her provision, and as such be in the position to help those who come to her when they have nowhere else to turn.

Questions and Applications

1. If you were being honest, to what extent do you believe you are serving two masters now? Do you think you are serving two, serving one, or maybe serving neither?

2. How long do you personally think we have before things start getting really ugly in American society, and in other countries?

3. The more stressful and worrisome times become, the more difficult it will be to discipline the mind and hear from God. Do you think you would be swept up in paranoia and fear if things got really bad, or do you think you would continue to remain calm in the midst of the storm? I'm here referring back to what we were discussing in the last study about letting fears make your mind restless, to the point where you find it difficult hearing God. What if there was rioting in your city, and you were often hearing gunshots going off outside at night, and there were reports of increasing murder and robbery taking place?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 02:33:17 PM by Hidden In Him »