Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:31 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:37:18 PM
awe-inspiring first encounter girls

https://url.epoch.tw/JM0wr

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:02:24 AM
ripsnorting uncovered girls

Johnnyhoppy

February 23, 2024, 10:39:30 PM
far-out unembellished girls

ytmp3music

September 23, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
Titanic post! I couldn't coincide more with your points. It's happy to give some thought to such mindful insights shared here.
Youtube to mp3 converter
<a href="https://www.ytmp3.to">Youtube to mp3 converter</a>

Hidden In Him

March 02, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
What a beautiful Spring day! Glory to God!

Hidden In Him

January 07, 2022, 06:49:10 PM
Alive and well!  :)

Happy 2022! This is gonna be a good one. I can feel it, Lol.

MoreBloodWine

December 30, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
You alive Chris ?

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Calendar

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 363
  • Total Topics: 257
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Author Topic: Colossians 3:16-17  (Read 991 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
Colossians 3:16-17
« on: May 03, 2022, 01:09:50 PM »
Teaching The Fear Of God, Through Psalms And Spiritual Songs

What was New Testament worship actually like? Both the epistle to the Ephesians and to the Colossians were written at around the same time, and in both the apostle Paul mentioned giving thanks to the Lord "through psalms, and hymns and spiritual songs." By such means, the churches were to "admonish and instruct one another" while singing praises unto the Lord.
     The question for many interpreters, however, is how exactly does admonition and instruction play into worshipping God?

And do not be drunk with wine, wherein is profligacy, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking unto yourselves in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and praising in your heart unto the Lord, giving thanks at all times for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father, submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God. (Ephesians 5:18-21)

Let the word of Christ dwell within you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms, and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts unto the Lord. And whatever you may do in word or in work, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks unto God the Father through Him. (Colossians 3:16-17)

Though the meaning is sometimes obscured by the translation, the word "admonish" here actually meant to warn. Thus, Paul was actually encouraging the Colossians to remind one another, through warnings and admonitions contained in their worship songs, to walk in the fear of God. This is the sense the word carried in the Greek, as is clear from other uses of it in the New Testament:

We beseech you, brothers, to know those laboring among you, and taking governance over you in the Lord and admonishing you (i.e. warning you), and regard them exceedingly in love for their work's sake... admonish the disorderly (i.e. warn them), encourage the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be long-suffering towards all. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-14)

And if anyone obeys not our word through this epistle, mark that man so as not to associate with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet do not esteem him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother (i.e. warn him as a brother). (2 Thessalonians 3:14-15)

After the first and second admonition (i.e. warning), reject a man who is a heretic, knowing that such a one is subverted and sins, being self-condemned. (Titus 3:10-11)

The reason for giving admonitions and warnings to sinners during New Testament times was because the judgment of God was falling upon some, especially those who caused division within the churches and were giving themselves to strife. There were several within the congregation at Corinth who were doing this, no longer even waiting for the rest of the body of Christ there to arrive before taking communion, and as a result many were falling sick. As a result, this brought the following warning from the apostle Paul:

Let a man prove himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For the one eating and drinking eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the body. Because of this, many among you are weak and sick and many have fallen asleep. But if we would discern ourselves we would not be judged. But being judged, we are chastised by the Lord, that we not be condemned with the world. (1 Corinthians 11:28-32)

The Psalms were likewise filled with warnings and admonitions, and always in the context of fearing God. Why then was it helpful to be singing them? By admonishing one another through Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, they were giving each other reminders of the word of God during worship, and thus protecting one another from the lure of turning aside to heretical teachings like the Essenes preached. And they were also reminding each other never to return evil for evil by speaking evil against one another. This was the context behind which Paul was now teaching to the Colossians to admonish one another during their worship services. For now, singing songs with admonishments in them seems a little out of place, but when the judgments of God finally return in earnest, the time will come when churches once again see the wisdom in reminding one another to continually walk in the fear of God.

Psalm 34: A Psalm Sung By The Early Church?

There appears to be fairly strong evidence that Psalm 34 was sung as a worship song during New Testament times. Peter quotes this Psalm directly in 1 Peter 3:10-12, and the sins he specifically mentions in the two previous verses were sins of the mouth:

Finally, be all of one mind, sympathetic, loving the brethren, tenderhearted, humble-minded, not rendering evil for evil or insult for insult, but on the contrary blessing, in that to this you were called, that you should inherit a blessing. For "the one who would love life and see good days, let him cause his tongue to cease from evil, and let his lips not speak deceit. And let him turn aside from evil and do good. Let him seek peace and pursue it, because the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their supplication. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." (1 Peter 3:8-12)

Peter quotes these verses from the psalm as if he was reminding them of something they were already well familiar with, and the full psalm indeed addresses exactly the types of issues Christians would have been facing during the early church era: Persecution, fears, the need for deliverance from threats to life, etc., yet all in the context of praising God for protection, and that He watches over the righteous and will not allow them to fall:

I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul shall make its boast in the Lord. The humble shall hear of it and be glad. 3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. 4 I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. 5 They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces were not ashamed. 6 This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them. 8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! 9 Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. 10 The young lions lack and suffer hunger. But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing. 11 Come, you children, listen to me. I will teach you the fear of the Lord. 12 Who is the man who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? 13 Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. 14 Depart from evil and do good. Seek peace and pursue it. 15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry. 16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. 17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. 18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. 20 He guards all his bones. Not one of them is broken. 21 Evil shall slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous shall be condemned. 22 The Lord redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned. (Psalm 34:1-22)

Virtually this entire Psalm can be related directly to New Testament teachings. He started with, "I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in my mouth... Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together." What do we read in Paul's teachings concerning praise unto God?

See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue the good, both towards one another and towards all. Rejoice always, pray incessantly, and give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus towards you. Do not quench the Spirit. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

And to quote the Ephesians passage again:

And do not be drunk with wine, wherein is profligacy, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking unto yourselves in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and praising in your heart unto the Lord, giving thanks at all times for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father, submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God. (Ephesians 5:18-21)

The Psalm then gave encouragements to the faithful about how God delivers the righteous from their troubles, saying "I sought the Lord, and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears... [for] the angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, and he delivers them." Teachings on God's promises to deliver are likewise found throughout Paul's letters, and they were proven out in how he went on to live out his life. The Lord constantly delivered him from troubles to continue in his ministry until his calling was finally completed, and Paul encouraged others that this was God's promise towards them as well:

In my first defense no one stood by me, but all forsook me. May it not be accounted to them. But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, that through me the [gospel] proclamation might be fully declared and all the Gentiles might hear. And I was delivered out of the Lion's mouth. And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work, and preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom, unto whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:16-18)

As he also recounted to King Agrippa, the Lord Jesus Christ promised Paul that he would repeatedly deliver him so that he might witness to both small and great:

And He said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise up and stand on your feet, for I appeared unto you for this reason, to appoint you a minister and a witness, both of what you saw and what shall be shown to you, delivering you from the people and from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes to turn them from darkness to light, and from the authority of Satan to God"… Having therefore obtained help from God, I continue to this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said should come. (Acts 26:15b-22) 

The Psalm then also taught the fear of God, saying "Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!... Come, you children, listen to me. I will teach you the fear of the Lord." The apostle Paul reminding the church to walk in fear of God in a similar manner, in that it was the impetus for perfecting holiness in the sight of God:

Therefore, beloved, having these promises, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (2 Corinthians 7:1)

Lastly, the Psalm gave encouragements to those suffering through afflictions, and who were being hated unjustly, and the New Testament saints were suffering persecution from just such people as well; individuals who hated them and wanted to see evil come to them. Thus we can assume that this particular part of the Psalm might have especially resonated with New Testament believers. As the Psalmist said, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all...  Evil shall slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous shall be condemned. But the Lord redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned." Very similar statements can be found in the epistles, such as here in 2nd Thessalonians:

We ourselves boast amongst the churches of God over your endurance and faith in the midst of all the persecutions and afflictions which you are bearing, a proof that God’s judgment is just that you be counted worthy of the kingdom of God for which you are also suffering, since it is a just thing with God to repay affliction to those who are afflicting you, and to you who are being afflicted, rest together with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from Heaven. (2 Thessalonians 1:3-7a)

Thus, because of their circumstances, one can see why such a Psalm would have had meaning and significance, and if the Psalms were was sung by the New Testament church then this very likely would have been one of them. Through it, they were admonishing one another that the one who would see length of days was he who walked in obedience, and "kept their tongues from evil, and their lips from speaking deceit." Again, the words they spoke to one another was the context in which Paul was now telling the Colossians to instruct and admonish one another  by singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs:

But now, also put off all these: Wrath, indignation, malice, blasphemy, and foul language out of your mouth. And do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old man... but let the word of Christ dwell within you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing each other in psalms, and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts unto the Lord. (Colossians 3:8-9, 16-17)

Psalms On The Fear Of God/ Sins Of The Tongue

Other Psalms continued in this same vein. The fact that the New Testament saints endured threats to their physical welfare made the Psalms in particular especially relevant to their lives, because the subject matter inherent in them dealt with such things, and how the Lord would protect the righteous from destruction. Thus, walking in the fear of God ensured this protection and therefore became all the more relevant. When sung, the Old Testament psalms became a form of admonition unto the hearer, and when sung by entire congregations, the net effect was a continual reminder to all to walk the fear of God.
     Another often quoted Psalm in the New Testament reads as follows:

13 As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him. 14 For He knows our frame, He remembers that we are dust. 15 As for man, his days are like grass. As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. For the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. 17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to his children’s children, 18 to such as keep His covenant, and to those who remember His commandments to do them. (Psalm 103:13-18)

This Psalm is quoted by both James (James 1:10-12) and Peter (1 Peter 1:24-25), which again suggests that the words of an Old Testament Psalm were commonly repeated within the churches, one that again reinforced the importance of fearing God, and stressed how He was able to preserve the lives of the righteous from destruction, not only in this life but in the next.
     This same theme is repeated yet again in Psalm 33:

8 Let all the earth fear the Lord. Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him... 18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear Him, upon those who hope in His mercy, 19 to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. 20 Our soul waits for the Lord. He is our help and our shield. 21 For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name. 22 Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in You. (Psalm 33:8, 18-22)

So too is there additional mention in the Psalms about not committing sins of the tongue. The promises of the Lord's protection applied specifically to those who feared God and kept His commandments, and in some psalms, doing so meant not backbiting with the tongue, or engaging in slander and lies unjustly:

Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? 2 He who walks uprightly, and works righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart. 3 He who does not backbite with his tongue, nor does evil to his neighbor, nor does he take up a reproach against his friend, 4 in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but he honors those who fear the Lord. (Psalm 15:1-4)

As we shall see in the next study, encouraging believers to admonish one another not to speak evils against one another through Psalms and spiritual songs will be followed by a teaching on the importance of not letting bitterness develop in relationships, and the two subjects appear to be related. By reminding them not to sin against one another with the tongue but continue to walk in the fear of God during worship, they were preventing the Devil from gaining a foothold among them through their families.

18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. 20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. 21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. 22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. (Colossians 3:18-22 NIV)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:34:04 AM by Hidden In Him »