Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:31 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Hidden In Him

March 15, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
Attention: To anyone viewing this site, I will be moving to another forum. I will leave this one up until the end of the year so viewers can still view the material here, but after that this site will be shut down.

If you have any questions, you can contact me privately by becoming a member.

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:37:18 PM
awe-inspiring first encounter girls

https://url.epoch.tw/JM0wr

Johnnyhoppy

February 24, 2024, 12:02:24 AM
ripsnorting uncovered girls

Johnnyhoppy

February 23, 2024, 10:39:30 PM
far-out unembellished girls

ytmp3music

September 23, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
Titanic post! I couldn't coincide more with your points. It's happy to give some thought to such mindful insights shared here.
Youtube to mp3 converter
<a href="https://www.ytmp3.to">Youtube to mp3 converter</a>

Hidden In Him

March 02, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
What a beautiful Spring day! Glory to God!

Hidden In Him

January 07, 2022, 06:49:10 PM
Alive and well!  :)

Happy 2022! This is gonna be a good one. I can feel it, Lol.

MoreBloodWine

December 30, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
You alive Chris ?

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Calendar

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 363
  • Total Topics: 257
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 9:1-12  (Read 703 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
1 Corinthians 9:1-12
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:31:48 PM »
Making Ever-Greater Sacrifices For The Glories Of War, Part 1

History is filled with military leaders who made immense sacrifices for their countries, and went on to be honored with great glory after the war was done. In the United States, men like George Washington and Andrew Jackson risked everything, making tremendous sacrifices to lead the nation to victory, and they preserved liberty for all who would come after them.
     Glory and honor was also awarded to the great conquerors of antiquity, and yet the apostle Paul declared that the saints would be remembered as even "more than conquerors," implying that their glory would surpass even the glory of men like Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great, for it would be eternal:

I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is about to be revealed to us... As it has been written, "For your sake we are being put to death all the day long. We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter." But in all these things we are more than conquerors, through Him who loved us. (Romans 8:18, 36-37)

Granted, it is clear the apostle Paul was not seeking glory in this life, nor did he recommend it (Matthew 6:2, 1 Thessalonians 2:6). In fact, he had already embraced that the opposite would be true, and that the Devil would make him and the other apostles out to be among the most despised human beings on earth, telling the Corinthians:

I suppose that God set us forth the apostles last, as appointed unto death. For we became a spectacle to the world, both to angels and men... To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, are insufficiently clothed, receive beatings, and wander homeless. But we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless. Being persecuted, we forbear. Being defamed, we encourage. We became as the scapegoats of the world, the expiation of everyone until now. (1 Corinthians 4:9, 11-13)

Nevertheless, scripture suggests that despite how the world viewed them, the apostles knew they would be attaining glory in eternity. As Peter would teach, the trials and sufferings they were now enduring were actually serving to purify their faith like gold tried in the fire, and concerning the future he went on to add that the prophets had promised that glory awaited the saints when God's kingdom was finally established on earth, after the reign of the Antichrist had finally been brought to an end:

You are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls, regarding which salvation the prophets, who prophesied of the grace predestined for you, undertook research and investigation, searching into the time and circumstances the Spirit of Christ within them was disclosing when He testified beforehand of the sufferings that would take place until the coming of Christ, and the glories that would follow afterwards. (1 Peter 1:9-11)

Peter was speaking here specifically about prophecies in the Book of Daniel, where the prophet inquired of the Lord about the timing of the "time of trouble" that would come upon the nation of Israel, after which time the Messiah would deliver them from spiritual and religious oppression (Daniel 12:1-13). Daniel described these "times of trouble" more specifically a few Chapters earlier when he said:

[The Antichrist] shall speak pompous words against the Most High, and persecute the saints of the Most High, and think to change times and law. And they shall be given into his hand for a time, and times, and half a time. But the judgment has sat, and they shall remove his dominion to abolish it and destroy it utterly. And the kingdom, and the power, and the greatness of the kings under the whole heaven were given to the saints of the Most High, and His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all powers shall serve and obey Him. (Daniel 7:25-27 LXX)

These, then, were among the "glories" the saints would walk in after Christ's return in power. After enduring exceedingly great oppression at the hands of the Antichrist, the greatness and glory of the kings of this world would become theirs for refusing to deny the Lord despite enduring some of the worst atrocities in human history.
     Paul also knew of this promise, for he likewise taught that the saints would be attaining glory in the next life if they endured persecution and persevered until the end:

Though our outward man is being destroyed, yet our inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is only momentary, is building for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we look not at the things which are seen but at those things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16b-18)

Regarding himself, the apostle Paul even kept a list of "light" afflictions he had suffered through, and it's clear he was putting something of a positive spin on things by calling them "light." But Paul was constantly encouraging the faithful that the rewards would be worth it all in the end:

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked. I spent a night and a day in the open sea. In traveling frequently I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles, in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea, in danger from false brethren, [serving God] amid labor and toil, frequent sleeplessness, hunger and thirst, frequent fastings, and cold and nakedness. (2 Corinthians 11:23-27)

But it is a just thing with God to repay affliction to those afflicting you, and to you who are being afflicted rest together with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from Heaven together with the angels of His power, who in flaming fire will inflict vengeance upon those who do not know God, and those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These will pay the penalty, everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His strength, when He comes to be glorified among His saints, and admired amongst all those who have believed, in that our testimony unto you was believed in that Day. (2 Thessalonians 1:6-10a)

Thus, the teaching of the apostles was that glories awaited those who persevered in the spiritual war, and as we shall see, Paul was actively encouraging the early church that they too could attain unto great glory in eternity. Consequently, his advice to the Corinthians was that they "run the race to obtain it," and compete with him and Barnabas to see who might ultimately attain the most in the next life.   

Paul And Barnabas: Warriors For The Lord

Though these two would eventually split and go their separate ways, Barnabas and Paul were both fully dedicated soldiers of the Lord Jesus Christ, and this becomes immediately apparent in the opening verses of First Corinthians, Chapter 9. Both were foregoing marriage so as not to entangle themselves in earthly affairs, and both were "going to war free of charge" as it were, and refusing compensation even should it have been offered, lest they hinder the gospel of Christ from being received and cherished.

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. 3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we have no right to eat and drink? 5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? (1 Corinthians 9:1-6)

Aside from making such sacrifices that the gospel not be hindered, it appears Paul and Barnabas also believed glory awaited them in eternity for refusing compensation. As Paul would now admit, he was deliberately foregoing support in ministry in order to have a boast about it:

7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock? 8 Do I say these things as a man, or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes this is written, no doubt, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ... 15 nor have I written these things that it should be done so for me. For it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. (1 Corinthians 9:7-12, 15)

As will be explained more in Part 2, Paul will soon use other analogies to encourage the Corinthians that they too should live in such a way as to be seeking glory in the next life, telling them:

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

Like athletes today, the Olympians obtained financial rewards from their victories, but their primary reward was the glory they received. They were given a victor's wreath made of pine branches which would be placed in the temple in their city, and sometimes statues were made of them, and songs written in their honor. And like today's athletes, they were greatly honored by their home towns when they returned home after the games.

When an athlete won at the games, his home town shared in his glory. The city was proclaimed with the name of the athlete, and upon his return the winner dedicated his victory crown in the temple of his home town. Athletes who had won at the crown-games were also rewarded financially upon return in their home town. At these games, victors were usually not awarded a material prize by the organizing city, but the rewards of the hometown were at least as valuable. (Ancient Olympics, Kuleuven)

Paul lived in Corinth where the Isthmian Games - second only to the Olympic Games - were held in honor of Poseidon every other year. Thus, he was using analogies the Corinthians were well-familiar with to teach that they likewise needed to run their spiritual race with the intention of obtaining glory in eternity. As stated elsewhere, Paul compared how athletes trained their bodies to withstand abuse to how Christians needed to discipline their bodies through fasting to avoid being overcome by the temptation to eat meats sacrificed to idols. The reason for this was because his concern was with winning souls to Christ, not losing them. And as will be explained more in Part 2, Paul's teaching was that saving souls was likewise something that would bring glory to the saints in eternity.

The Army Of God Today: Mostly Mercenaries

How many forego marriage for the sake of God's kingdom today? How many operate in ministry yet do not allow anyone to compensate them financially for it? These days, you can't even apply for a Christian education without someone immediately encouraging you about how much money you will be making, which is indicative of just how materialistic the modern church has become. We are materially rich but spiritually poor, just as the Lord prophesied 2,000 years ago when He described conditions that would exist in the church prior to His return. As He Himself said to the church of Laodicea:

Unto the angel of the church in Laodicea write: "The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Ruler of God’s creation, says these words to you... 'You say, "I am rich. I have acquired wealth, and have need of nothing," and do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I advise you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, so that you may be [truly] rich, and white garments, so that you may clothe yourself, and the shame of your nakedness not be made manifest, and eye salve to anoint your eyes with, so that you may see. As many as I love I rebuke and discipline. Be zealous, therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone will hear My voice and open the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. I will grant to the one who overcomes the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also overcame, and sat down with My Father on His throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'” (Revelation 3:14-22)

Gold refined in the fire is precisely what we have been discussing in this study. It refers to a faith that has been tested in the fires of adversity, and unfortunately most Christians in the West have never been tested in this manner. One might argue they haven't had the chance to prove themselves yet since there simply hasn't been much resistance to the faith in the West in modern times. But for those who think this, the church in the West will eventually have its chance. Persecution and opposition is prophesied to come, and when it does the Spirit is warning that many will not be able to withstand it:

Before the great ingathering, Christianity will experience a great humiliation… The "accuser of the brethren" will go forth with unprecedented rage against the Body of Christ. The "revelations" of immoral and unethical behavior by hundreds of highly visible ministries will bring about a loathing of Christianity throughout the world, for a time. These "revelations" will include child molesting, rape, and the most vile forms of perversion. Some of these will be true, but most will not be true...
     After an atmosphere of revulsion has been created, the enemy will then move against even the most respected Evangelical, Pentecostal, Protestant, Charismatic and Catholic leaders with charges of the most base forms of perversion and ethical failures... [and] this humiliation will ultimately reduce many congregations and movements in the church to a figurative Gideon's three hundred.
     There are many sincere and devoted men of God presently serving in positions of leadership, but there are also many who have attained such positions through political manipulation and self-promotion. To these church leadership is merely another profession rather than a calling. These will not be able to stand the humiliation which is coming; they will flee, demonstrating that they were in fact hirelings, not serving in devotion to the Lord but for their own personal interests. (Joyner, The Harvest, P.139-142)

Why will many flee when this time comes? Because Paul's teaching in passages like these have been largely abandoned by the church, and the result is we walk in an entirely different mindset today. When will Christians again aspire to glory in eternity, and strive to be "more than conquerors"? When will they make the kinds of sacrifices Paul and Barnabas were making for the gospel's sake? In my opinion, it will only come when the leadership returns to preaching the message Paul preached. Until then, the majority of Christians in the West will continue placing more interested in earthly rewards, whether they are willing to admit to it or not. The original message of the early church must be preached again before it will ever be lived out.

Links to sources:
http://ancientolympics.arts.kuleuven.be/eng/TD008EN.html

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:53:56 AM by Hidden In Him »