Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:34 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:21 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:57:00 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:56:30 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:42 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:19 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what the abundan

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant according to the admin

Kamagiply

August 04, 2019, 11:55:58 AM
Hellow Paddy

I wanna wish you a happy 30. birthday.. I still hope you fell fine, where ever you are.. And enjoy it.. I hope you find what you´ve been searching for..

Thanks for alle your songs.. I just love them..

Do you ever read what we write to you??

Best Regards
Lowenti

Hidden In Him

August 03, 2019, 05:35:37 PM
This is just a site I use for writing. We gave no one here who goes by the name "Paddy."

Hidden In Him

August 03, 2019, 05:34:34 PM
Sure you have the right website there, Kamagiply?

Kamagiply

August 03, 2019, 12:46:31 PM
Hellow Paddy

I wanna wish you a happy 30. birthday.. I still hope you fell fine, where ever you are.. And enjoy it.. I hope you find what you´ve been searching for..

Thanks for alle your songs.. I just love them..

Do you ever read what we write to you??

Best Regards
Lowenti

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 17, 2020, 02:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 193
  • Total Topics: 156
  • Online Today: 92
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Author Topic: James 1:5-10  (Read 1161 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
James 1:5-10
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »
Receiving The Wisdom To Overcome Evil With Good

Satan's ultimate objective in subjecting the faithful to trials is to overcome good with evil, if not by causing them to abandon their faith, then by goading them into retaliating against their oppressors, thereby giving place to the Devil in their hearts. God's objective, on the other hand, is for believers to overcome evil with good. Yet to do so requires employing wisdom, a type of skill in dealing with others, which is why James now advised his readers to pray for wisdom whenever they encountered trials:

Let endurance have its accomplished work, that you may reach full potential and development, falling short in nothing.  But if any of you falls short in wisdom, let him request it from God, who gives it with simplicity to all men and does not bring reproach, and it shall be given unto him. (James 1:3-5)

One of the offensive weapons the early church had at their disposal was the gospel of peace, which believers were to always be prepared to share with their oppressors whenever opportunity presented itself. As the apostle Peter put it:

If you should suffer on account of righteousness, blessed are you. But be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled, but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be ready always to give a defense to every man who requests a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear, having a good conscience, that, whereas they may speak against you as evildoers, they may be made ashamed who speak evil of your good conduct in Christ. (1 Peter 3:14-16)

Believers were to open up an opportunity to present the gospel by treating their oppressors so kindly and respectfully that they became ashamed of slandering them. Responding in anger, on the other hand, usually eliminated any chance of doing so whatsoever. As the scripture says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger" (Proverbs 15:1). This is why the apostle Paul taught believers never to return evil for evil, and lived this teaching out by example:

Bless those who persecute you. Bless, and do not curse... Recompense evil for evil to no one, providing good conduct in the sight of all men, if possible, from yourselves [at least], living peaceably with all men, not avenging yourselves, beloved, but giving place to wrath. For it has been written, "Vengeance is Mine. I will repay," says the Lord. Therefore, if your enemy should hunger, feed him. If he should thirst, give him something to drink… [and] be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:14, 17-21)

To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, are insufficiently clothed, receive beatings, and wander homeless. But we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless. Being persecuted, we forbear. Being defamed, we encourage. (1 Corinthians 4:11-12)

As James will say in Chapter 3, "the word of truth is sown in peace by those making peace," a reference to the same tactic believers were supposed to employ. But as for exactly what word they were to speak, what sort of soft answer they should give, each situation called for a unique response. Whether suffering through interrogation, religious intimidation, public humiliation, spiritual belittlement, financial exploitation, judicial oppression or some other trial, they needed specific wisdom from God in order to turn away wrath from their oppressors.

Persistence In Faith: A Key To Receiving Wisdom

As James will teach, the key to receiving wisdom from God was not personal holiness, righteousness, justification or piety, but rather persistence in faith:

If any of you falls short in wisdom, let him request it from God, the One who gives it with simplicity unto all men and does not bring reproach, and it shall be given unto him. Thus, let him ask in faith… (James 1:4-6a)

Jesus Himself likewise taught that persistence in prayer was the key to receiving wisdom, which He likened unto spiritual "bread":

And it came to pass, that, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples to." And He said to them, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father who is in Heaven, may Your name be reverenced. Let Your kingdom come. Let Your will be done, as in Heaven so also on earth. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone indebted to us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'" (Luke 11:1-4)

The temptation Jesus referred to here was the urge His disciples might have to retaliate against their enemies, especially the religious leadership of Israel. If they did so, it would give the authorities grounds to chastise and afflict them, thereby delivering themselves into Satan's hands rather than from them. But if they responded by practicing forgiveness like those in Heaven do, they would cause God's name to be reverenced through their righteous behavior, and could expect Him to not only forgive their sins, but also grant them the "bread" needed to respond wisely to defamation, false accusations and incitement.
     That this "bread" was wisdom from God is apparent from what Jesus said next to His disciples:

And He said to them, "Who among you shall have a friend, and shall go to him at midnight, and say to him, "Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine is come from a journey to me, and I do not have anything to set before him," and he, answering from inside, should say, "Cause me no weariness. The door has already been shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot rise up to give it to you." I say to you, even if, having risen up, he will not give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, having risen, he will give him as many as he needs. (Luke 11:5-8)

By analogy, God the Father is in Heaven with His own children. Though He might hesitate to get up and give wisdom to one of His "friends," i.e. the Jews, He would not hesitate to grant it to someone who was persistent, if for no other reason than that they were incessantly wearying Him about it. And when it came to granting wisdom to His "children," i.e. believers, Jesus was promising them that they would receive the Holy Spirit as their Teacher, as He now stated in conclusion:

And I say unto you, Ask and it shall be given to you. Seek and you shall find. Knock, and the door shall be opened unto you. For everyone that asks receives, he that seeks finds, and to him that knocks, the door will be opened. And if a son shall ask for bread, which father among you will give him a stone?... If you, then, being evil, know to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him? (Luke 11:9-13)

The Holy Spirit's connection to wisdom was that He would be granted by God to the church specifically for the purpose of leading them into all truth (John 16:12-15), and would not only grant them revelation but also wisdom to overcome evil with good. But Jesus was emphasizing here that it required determination and stick-to-it-tivenes on the part of the believer.

Self-Incrimination: One Of The Obstacles To Receiving Wisdom

James will clearly implicate a lack of persistence in prayer as a culprit in not receiving wisdom. Jews who were financially and socially disadvantaged often lacked confidence in God, and their tendency was to become psychologically conflicted over whether they were truly "blessed of God" or not. For such people, a million questions ran could through their heads as to whether they were "worthy" enough to receive wisdom or not, particularly their rich brothers in Christ, who were obviously walking in His favor:

If any man falls short in wisdom, let him request it from God, who gives it with simplicity unto all men and does not bring reproach, and it shall be given unto him. Thus, let him ask in faith, making no distinctions (about who will and will not receive), for the man who makes distinctions is like a wave of the sea being driven by wind and tossed about. Let not that man suppose he shall obtain anything from the Lord, [being] a psychologically conflicted man, [mentally] restless in all his ways. (James 1:6-9)

The mental distinctions they were making had specifically to do with looking at their own financial and religious status in the Jewish community in comparison to others, and then judging themselves to be spiritually inferior, as the text now insinuates:

But let the lowly brother boast in his exalted status, and the rich man in his lowly status, for like the flower of the grass he shall pass away. (James 1:10)

By the word "boasting," James was referring to the boast the  Jews had of being worshippers of the one true God, who gave them the the law, and with it great wisdom and instruction:

If you are named a Jew, and rest your hopes in the law, and boast in God, and know [His] will, and prove more excellent sayings, being instructed out of the law, and believe yourself to be a guide of the blind, [and] a light in the darkness, [and] a corrector of the foolish, [and] a teacher of infants, possessing the formation of knowledge of the truth in the law, you then who teaches another, do you not teach yourself? (Romans 2:17-21a)

By "making no distinctions," James was referring to a habit Jews had of distinguishing between those who were  "blessed" of God and those who were "accursed." The Jews made these distinctions, based primarily on two factors: 1. a man's financial standing, and 2. his religious and social standing in the Jewish community. The typical assumption was that the rich were righteous whereas the poor and "lowly" were accursed. That this mentality was prevalent through Jewish society is clearly evident in how the disciples responded when Jesus tried to teach them that it would be difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God:

And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you that hardly shall a rich man enter into the kingdom of Heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." And having heard this, the disciples were exceedingly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" (Matthew 19:23-25)

Notice, they didn't say, "Yeah. Those rich guys are in trouble." They were so shocked that their response was to ask Him, "If the rich can't even get in, then who in the world can?" This assumption that the rich were the most righteous was based on promises found in Deuteronomy 28, where the Lord promised the children of Israel the following:

And it shall come to pass, if you... observe and do all these commands which I charge you this day... all these blessings shall come upon you... blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed in the field. Blessed shall be the offspring of your body, and the fruits of your land, and the herds of your oxen, and the flocks of your sheep.  Blessed shall be your barns and your stores… and so shall you lend to many nations, and not borrow... But it shall come to pass, if you will not hearken to the voice of the Lord your God to observe all His commandments… cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed in the field. Cursed shall be your barns and your stores. Cursed shall be the offspring of your body, and the fruits of your land, the herds of your oxen, and the flocks of your sheep... (Deuteronomy 28:1-5, 12, 15-18 LXX)

The only problem with assuming that the rich were righteous and the poor were cursed was that occasionally God would let down the hedge of protection over a righteous man's life, allowing Satan to attack him, as He did with Job (Job 1:6-12), and also with the apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 12:7). Moreover, many wealthy men in Israel were acquiring their riches by exploiting the poor, making judging by appearances a very unreliable practice.
     As a result, James will spend most of this letter turning this assumption completely on its head, starting here with the words, "But let the lowly brother boast in his exalted status, and the rich man in his lowly status." If anything, it was the poor man who could expect to receive wisdom as "blessed" of God, given what the early church was now learning about those most worthy to reign with Christ being those who endured trials with Him (see 2 Timothy 2:11-12 and Matthew 20:17-23 in light of James 1:12).   
     But respect of persons was being practiced during New Testament times, as described in Study #1. The poor were constantly being spiritually belittled, which continually ingrained in them a sense of spiritual inferiority, and thus undermined their self-confidence and weakened their faith to the point where they were totally unsure of themselves.
     Moreover, as we shall see, with their minds constantly tied up worried about whether or not they were "worthy" enough to hear from God instead of actually listening for His voice, being so psychologically conflicted and mentally restless only made wisdom from God that much harder to obtain. 

Mental Restlessness: Another Obstacle To Receiving Wisdom

However, making self-incriminating distinctions about who will and will not receive wisdom from God makes doing so difficult in yet another way. Namely this: Having a restless and overworked mind can keep you from hearing God's voice. He doesn't shout in your ear. After asking for wisdom, you have to quiet your mind and remain mentally at peace, so that when He speaks to you you can hear Him. 

If any man falls short in wisdom, let him request it from God... But let him ask in faith, making no distinctions (about who will and will not receive), for the man who makes distinctions is like a wave of the sea being driven by wind and tossed about. Let not that man suppose he shall obtain anything from the Lord, [being] a psychologically conflicted man, [mentally] restless in all his ways. (James 1:6-9)

The analogy James used here was of a believer being like a wave at sea  blown by winds, up and then down, up and then down. The "winds" referred to here speak of sins, negative circumstances in life, and self-doubts being whispered into his ear by demonic spirits. All these "winds" help topple his faith, and discourage him from believing God. Instead of standing on his own relationship with God, the believer has become merely one "wave" among many ("wave" is used in the singular here). Thus, he must now constantly look at others, and how he is doing spiritually in comparison with them. This creates a continual psychological roller coaster in his mind. One day, he's a spiritual giant, so of course God will soon grant him the wisdom he is seeking. The next day, after falling into sin and/or enduring negative circumstances or spiritual abuse, and suddenly he's a spiritual worm, certainly nowhere near as righteous as brother so-and-so, and therefore completely unworthy to receive anything from God.
     James went on to say that such a person was mentally restless in all his ways, never knowing for sure if he was on God's good side or possibly not, i.e. under His blessing or under a curse. This created yet another obstacle for God getting through to them with wisdom: Their minds are too restless to hear His still, small voice.
     Two separate stories in the Old Testament convey this truth. God often speaks to the believer in a whisper, which necessitates quieting the mind if you want to hear Him. In First Kings, the Lord manifested Himself to Elijah, yet Elijah could not hear His voice amid the tempest, the earthquake, and the raging forest fire. He only heard His voice speaking to Him in the quiet whisper that came after all these powerful manifestations of God had subsided:

The Lord said [to Elijah], “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. (1 Kings 19:11-13, NIV)

A second story illustrating the same principle is found in First Samuel, where God's voice first began whispering to the prophet Samuel at a very early age:

The boy Samuel ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare; there were not many visions. One night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the house of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am. You called me?” But Eli said, “I did not call. Go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down.
     Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am. You called me?” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call. Go back and lie down.”
     Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him.
     A third time the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am. You called me?" Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. (1 Samuel 3:1-9)

These passages prove that God often speaks in a whisper, and His voice can even sometimes be confused for a softly spoken human voice. Thus, if our minds are greatly disquieted and restless about matters that trouble us, we are not mentally available for when He speaks.

Similar Obstacles Exist For Many Today

Many today are just as weak in faith, and lack confidence that God would answer their prayers for wisdom. Now, like then, victims of spiritual abuse in particular are susceptible, as numerous articles on the web point out:

In a manipulative church, the pastor or senior leaders have subtly positioned themselves to take the place of the Holy Spirit in people's lives… People in a controlling church are often told they cannot leave the church with God's blessing unless the pastor approves the decision. They are warned that if they don’t follow the pastor’s guidance, not only will God not bless them, but they will also bring a curse upon themselves or their family. (Beware Of "Spiritual Abuse," Craig von Buseck, CBN)

Such brainwashing slowly destroys the confidence believers have in their own relationship with God. As a result, their faith in their own ability to hear from Him grows weaker with every day they remain in such surroundings:

When we pursue the honor of men, we do so at the expense of our relationship with God. If we continue to do so, gradually men will take the place of God in our lives. An unhealthy soul tie is created, and our sense of confidence is determined by our standing with those in leadership. This kind of control will destroy people spiritually. A true shepherd will use his influence to draw church members into a close relationship with Jesus, who is the only "Head of the church."
     Pastors operating under a spirit of control are often convinced that they are the only ones who can accurately hear from God. Under the constant exposure to this spirit, members often become convinced that they indeed need their pastor to think for them. In essence, their personal fellowship with the Lord has been abdicated for a relationship with a man. As a result, they lose their confidence in being able to discern the will of God for their lives. (Warning Signs of Spiritual Abuse, Part Two, Mike Fehlauer, CBN)

This is not entirely the fault of manipulative and controlling pastors, however. As another article states, many believers simply find it easier to entrust their lives to others, hoping to relieve themselves of responsibility by doing so: 

Too many sheep do not believe that God still guides His people today through the means of prayerful meditation upon the Word of God and the illuminating ministry of the Holy Spirit. It is easier for the flesh to suspend the use of spiritual faculties and scriptural means of guidance for the short-cut of asking the leader to determine God’s will and make the decisions all the time. It is not surprising that sheep who put men on pedestals, who cravenly serve men and who do not believe that God still guides [believers personally] will fall prey to abusive shepherds… Perhaps, some of the time, authoritarian shepherds are God’s chastening rods on the backs of idol-worshipping, men-pleasing, unbelieving sheep who will not have God to be their God but who substitute a mere creature in His place. (Authoritarianism In The Church, Steve Martin, Founders.Org)

As a result, every believer must develop confidence in his or her own relationship with the Lord, and cease from being like a wave psychological blown about whichever way the wind happens to be turning at the moment.

Tips From A Lifetime Of Hearing From God

I've been receiving revelation from God for decades now, so I know how this is done. As the above article stated, "A true shepherd will use his influence to draw church members into a close relationship with Jesus," and this is my intention as a servant to God's people.
     For starters, to receive wisdom, understand that the Lord will generally wait for the proper time and place to speak to you. Because the Spirit whispers thoughts to the mind, He waits until He has your undivided attention. This is why having a restless mind becomes such a big problem in receiving wisdom from God. If you are spiritually unsure of yourself and your relationship with God, you end up spending more time worrying about if He will speak to you or not than on actually listening for Him to do so. Thus, developing a close personal relationship with Him through prayer and study is the first priority.
     Unfortunately, marriage, children, work, social activities, and a whole host of other distractions can also make your mind restless, as it were. This is why it pays to orchestrate your life around having as much quiet time as possible, so as to give Him more opportunity to speak to you. But even if during prayer your mind is restlessly consumed with worldly matters, it will not be free to hear His voice, and you should not therefore expect that you will.
     Trials can also play a role here. If your mind is too troubled or angry at someone who sinned against you, your attention is not His for the Holy Spirit to teach you anything (James 1:19-21). All these potential distractions are why persistence in prayer is the key to receiving wisdom. It must also be understood that sometimes we can ask for wisdom that is hard for God to relate to us given our current level of understanding, similar to how children can sometimes ask questions that are far beyond their ability to understand the answers to yet. But God will nevertheless begin teaching you on the subject and continue to until you finally receive your answer, provided you don't give up. There have been numerous times I have asked for revelation regarding a certain passage I found very difficult to understand. Occasionally I have even lost my patience in not obtaining the answer I wanted quick enough. But my saving grace is that I never give up in such circumstances, and as a result always receive what I am praying for eventually.
     Granted, revelation and wisdom are slightly different things, but the principles to receiving both are exactly the same. You must persevere in faith, not praying simply to receive your answer, but until you receive it, no matter how long this may take. Once you develop this kind of determination, it usually doesn't take very long. Success breeds success, which causes your faith to grow to the place where you know it is no longer a question of if, but when. This was precisely the point James was making in this letter. To receive wisdom from God, continue growing in His grace, and withstand all everything Satan was throwing at them in New Testament times, believers had to continue strengthening their faith to the place where absolutely nothing could deter them, or hold them back for long.

Links To Web Articles:

http://www1.cbn.com/biblestudy/beware-of-%26quot%3Bspiritual-abuse%26quot%3B
http://www1.cbn.com/warning-signs-of-spiritual-abuse-part-two
http://founders.org/fj15/authoritarianism-in-the-church/

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:16:13 PM by Hidden In Him »