Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:34 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:21 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:57:00 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:56:30 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:42 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:19 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what the abundan

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant according to the admin

Kamagiply

August 04, 2019, 11:55:58 AM
Hellow Paddy

I wanna wish you a happy 30. birthday.. I still hope you fell fine, where ever you are.. And enjoy it.. I hope you find what you´ve been searching for..

Thanks for alle your songs.. I just love them..

Do you ever read what we write to you??

Best Regards
Lowenti

Hidden In Him

August 03, 2019, 05:35:37 PM
This is just a site I use for writing. We gave no one here who goes by the name "Paddy."

Hidden In Him

August 03, 2019, 05:34:34 PM
Sure you have the right website there, Kamagiply?

Kamagiply

August 03, 2019, 12:46:31 PM
Hellow Paddy

I wanna wish you a happy 30. birthday.. I still hope you fell fine, where ever you are.. And enjoy it.. I hope you find what you´ve been searching for..

Thanks for alle your songs.. I just love them..

Do you ever read what we write to you??

Best Regards
Lowenti

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 04:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 191
  • Total Topics: 154
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 448
  • (August 17, 2018, 12:06:54 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Author Topic: Colossians 2:1-7  (Read 742 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0%
Colossians 2:1-7
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
The Holy Spirit: The Church's Protector From Deception

Satan's most powerful tool is deception. Since the Garden of Eden he has been using false teachings to lead the faithful away from the truth, to their own destruction. It was no different during New Testament times, and it is no different today. To protect themselves against the threat of deception, God's intention was not that the church develop a dependence upon Christian leadership, but upon the Holy Spirit as their Teacher. They were doing this not only for wisdom's sake, but out of necessity, for one of the apostle Paul's consistent problems throughout his ministry was that Satan continued to hinder him from returning to congregations to refute heresies and false teachings that were arising among them.
     Even in this letter, Paul was now in prison and unable to get to the Colossians. But he could agonizing for them in prayer. As he told them here in the text, his specific prayer for them was that they attain a recognition of the mystery of God. If they fully understood the mystery of Christ within them, the Devil would not be able to delude them with persuasive teachings: 

For I want you to know what great agonizing I sustain on your behalf, and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, that their hearts, having been united together in love, might also be exhorted to attain unto all the abundance of assurance that comes through understanding, [and] attain to a recognition of the mystery of God, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And I say this so that no one may delude you with persuasive teaching. For if indeed I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in the spirit, rejoicing and beholding your order, and the firmness of your faith in Christ. As therefore you received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, having become rooted and built up in Him and becoming confirmed in the faith, even as you were taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:1-7)

What was Paul hoping for specifically in praying that they attain a recognition of the mystery of God? They they come to fully appreciate the implications of what having the Spirit of God poured out upon them actually meant. As he would explain to the Ephesians:

By revelation it was made known unto me the mystery... which in other generations was not made known unto the sons of men, as is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit, that the Gentiles should be fellow-heirs, and of the same body, and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. (Ephesians 3:3, 5-6)

Thus, the mystery of God was that they would become joint-heirs with Christ and reign with Him in eternity, and become fellow-partakers of eternal life with Him in glory. The part Paul especially wanted them to recognize, however, was this: They were already fully justified in Christ, was evidenced by the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon them, which in effect made them members of the same body together with all the saints. The recognition of this one simple fact would provide them the spiritual assurance they needed to dismiss any persuasive arguments used to tell them they were not walking in true obedience to God. Heretics were now arising who were causing Gentile congregations to question their salvation by telling them that they needed to keep the Jewish laws and customs. But His Presence alone would assure them against this heresy, was well as reveal to them false doctrines from true, through the operation of the spiritual gifts among them.
     That the apostle Paul was often hindered from getting to Christian congregations might be viewed as a victory for the powers of darkness, but it was actually by design from God. He was allowing this to happen so that early Gentile congregations would learn to become dependent upon the Holy Spirit and not men. Unfortunately, in the centuries that followed, the church forsook their dependence upon the Holy Spirit as their Teacher and began depending upon fleshly leaders instead. The result has been that false teachings and false traditions have slowly crept in, to the point where we are now desperately in need of a restoration of accurate teaching regarding God's word.

The Apostle Paul's Anxieties Over The Churches

In Second Corinthians, the apostle Paul made a confession that reveals just how successful the Devil was being at causing doctrinal and spiritual chaos amongst the churches during New Testament times:

Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned... I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles, in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea, and in danger from false believers, [and all this] amid labor and toil, often amid sleeplessness, amid hunger and thirst, amid fastings often, amid cold and nakedness. Besides all these things without, I face daily the difficulty that rests upon me, [my] anxiety over all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:24-28)

Why was Paul facing anxiety on a daily basis with regard to the churches? Because the minute he would depart from a congregation Satan would raise up heretics to begin corrupting them through false teachings, or raise up presumptuous leaders from among their own numbers to begin misleading them. Paul was often aware of the havoc Satan was causing amongst congregations, but rarely could he ever do anything about it. Satan was often hindering him from traveling from place to place through the Jews.
     As he told the Thessalonians:

For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God which are in Judea in Christ Jesus, in that you also suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they did from the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and drove us out, and are not acceptable to God but contrary to all men, forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles so that they might be saved... But we, brothers, having been bereaved of you for an hour of time... were more abundantly diligent, having a great desire to see your face, to which end we wished to come to you, indeed I Paul, not once but twice, but Satan hindered us. (1 Thessalonians 2:14-18)

And many times I was hindered from coming to you... yet through our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of the Spirit, I exhort you to agonize together with me in prayers unto God concerning me, that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea... and may come to you with joy by the will of [our] Lord Jesus, and be refreshed together with you. (Romans 15:22, 30-32)

Why was God allowing Satan to hinder Paul from getting back to these congregations? Because He wanted them to become reliant upon the Holy Spirit for guidance.

"Agonizing In Prayer" With Inexpressible Groanings

As quoted in the passage above, in writing to the Christians in Rome, Paul besought them, saying, "through our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of the Spirit, I exhort you to agonize together with me in prayers unto God." By this verse then, we know that the agonizing Paul was referring to in our present passage in Colossians was likewise a reference to agonizing and laboring in prayer:

We preach [Christ], admonishing and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him, unto which I also labor [in prayer], agonizing in accord with His supernatural energy, which manifests within me in power. For I want you to know what great agonizing I sustain on your behalf, and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh... (Colossians 1:28-2:2)

According to Paul's own testimony here, in his prayer life, he was laboring in accord with the supernatural energy of God that was manifesting itself within him. In other words, what he was praying was in accord with what the Holy Spirit Himself was praying through him. The word translated here "agonizing" is the same Greek word from which we get our English word agony. Thus, the references here were to praying in the Holy Spirit, as one translation says it, "with groanings that cannot be uttered":

And likewise the Spirit also helps our weakness, for we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit offers intercession with inexpressible groanings Himself. And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, for He intercedes on behalf of the saints in accordance with God. (Romans 8:26-27)

Again, Paul had to deal daily with great anxiety over all the churches, fearing that much of his work and the sufferings he was having to endure on their behalf might all be in vain. But by praying in the Holy Spirit, he could communicate to God most clearly all the pain he was feeling. This is because the Holy Spirit does not just pray through us, but for us, in accordance with what He knows concerns us most, and with perfect clarity. Hence, Paul's many references to laboring, groaning and agonizing in prayer. According to First Corinthians, he may have prayed in the Holy Spirit more than anyone of his time:

I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. However, in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding so that I may also instruct others than speak ten thousand words in a tongue. (1 Corinthians 14:18-19)

Paul Supernaturally Beheld Congregations In Visions

An example of the anxieties Paul experienced over churches can be seen in his letters to the Thessalonians. In his first letter to them, he admitted to being so concerned about their spiritual welfare that he sent Timothy to them to see exactly how they were doing: 

And because of this, I also, no longer enduring, sent to know of your faith, lest perhaps the Tempter did tempt you, and our labor should be in vain. But now Timothy has come to us from you and has related to us your faith and love, and that you always have good remembrance of us, longing to see us even as we you. Because of this, brothers, we are encouraged over you in the midst of all our affliction and need because of your faith, in that now we live if you are standing fast in the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 3:5-7)

It was possibly because of his deep concern for how the churches were doing that the apostle Paul was given a spiritual gift by God wherein he could supernaturally see through visions what was taking place among them, even from a prison cell. Thus, he was telling the Colossians that even though he wasn't actually there with them, he could nevertheless see what was taking place among them through the Holy Spirit:

And I say this so that no one may delude you with persuasive teaching. For if indeed I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in the spirit, rejoicing and beholding your order, and the firmness of your faith in Christ. As therefore you received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, having become rooted and built up in Him and becoming confirmed in the faith, even as you were taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:4-7)

Paul also promised the Corinthians that he would being there with them in spirit when they excommunicated a brother who was having sex with his father's wife. When they were gathered together in the power of the Holy Spirit, he would also be there among them in the spirit:

Sexual immorality is commonly being reported among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles, such as for one to have sex with [his] father's wife. And here you are having become inflated with pride, and rather did not mourn because the one having done this deed might [soon] be removed from your midst! For, indeed, I being absent in the body but present in the spirit have already judged regarding the one having done this thing as being present: In the name of the Lord Jesus, when you have been gathered together in the power of the Lord Jesus, and with my spirit, you are to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that [his] spirit might be saved on the Day of the Lord Jesus. (1 Corinthians 5:1-5)

"You Have No Need That Anyone Teach You"

As is clear from numerous New Testament passages, one of the greatest blessings of receiving the anointing of God's Spirit was that congregations no longer had need that any man teach them. Without doubt the Spirit was using apostles, prophets and teachers to train believers in walking in the Spirit, but congregations were by no means dependent upon them. They had the Holy Spirit Himself for their Teacher, and this alone would be sufficient whenever necessary:

As for you, the Anointing which you received from Him abides within you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as the same Anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true and not a liar, even as He taught you, abide in Him. (1 John 2:27)

The apostle John wrote these words to encourage readers that they had a protection against heretics. What protection? The Spirit of God Himself, through believers operating in the spiritual gifts, by which means the Spirit was directly speaking to congregations. In another place, Paul mentioned how the Holy Spirit was giving warnings in advance about the corruption that would set in among churches as a result of heresy:

But the Spirit says expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed unto deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking falsehoods in hypocrisy [because] their own conscience has become cauterized, forbidding to marry [and teaching] to abstain from meats, which God created to partake of with thanksgiving by those who are faithful, and have recognized the truth. (1 Timothy 4:1-3)

How was the Spirit Himself expressly warning them about these coming threats to the church? Through the gifts of the Holy Spirit in operation. Not only was He supernaturally warning them, but also building them up spiritually through revelations and teachings as well:

What is it, then, brothers? Whenever you may come together, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. If anyone with a tongue speaks, [let it be] by two or the most three, and in succession, and let one interpret. And if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in the church, but let him speak to himself and God. And let prophets speak two or three, and let the others discern. And if anything should be revealed to another sitting by, let the first one be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and be exhorted. (1 Corinthians 14:26-31)

This, then, makes sense of what Paul told the Colossians when he said he was rejoicing and beholding "their order," i.e. how they were maintaining proper order in practicing the spiritual gifts. Paul used this Greek word in First Corinthians as well, for as he would say in another few verses:

So then, brothers, be zealous to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But let all things be done properly and in order. (1 Corinthians 14:39-40)

By sharing revelations they were receiving through the Holy Spirit, individual members of congregations were mutually contributing and participating in the spiritual growth of their church. This was not like what we have today in bible studies and cell groups. In New Testament times, individuals were sharing genuine revelations from God, not simply their opinions on a matter, or on a particular passage of scripture. Rather, churches were following the long-held Jewish practice where whoever had received a teaching or revelation from God stood up before the congregation, read from a text, and then expounding on it. After he shared what God had given him, discussion ensued amongst the rest of the faithful in the congregation. That they were following this practice is why the New Testament epistles were to addressed to congregations, not individual leaders.
     Thus, that congregations were receiving revelations and teachings from the Spirit Himself explains what Paul was praying for where the Colossians were concerned:

For I want you to know what great agonizing [in prayer] I sustain on your behalf, and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, that their hearts, having been united together in love, might also be exhorted to attain unto all the abundance of assurance that comes through understanding, [and] attain to a recognition of the mystery of God, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And I say this so that no one may delude you with persuasive teaching. (Colossians 2:1-4)

Paul was praying that they might be exhorted by whom exactly? By the Holy Spirit, since the Greek word here is from the same family as the word Paraclete, a Greek word often used to describe the Holy Spirit Himself.
- if they directed their hearts to God Himself, the Holy Spirit would reveal all things to them:

As for the rest, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may travel quickly and be glorified, just as it was with you. And [pray] that we may be delivered from perverse and wicked men, for [ours] is not the faith of everyone. But faithful is the Lord, who will establish you, and protect you from the Evil One. And we have trusted in the Lord concerning you that the things we command you are both doing and will do. But may the Lord direct your hearts to the Love of God, and the endurance of Christ. (2 Thessalonians 3:1-5)

Instead, The Church Is Now Easily Deceived

Because this is the way Christianity was originally practiced, the question naturally arises: How did we get to where we are today? The answer is that within a few centuries most Christians had abdicated their responsibility to receive revelation from God personally, and simply began instead trusting an elite class of ecclesiastical leaders to do so.
     As George Barna wrote:

In the Old Testament, men of God preached and taught. But... active participation and interruptions by the audience were common. In like manner, the New Testament letters show that the ministry of God's word came from the entire church in their regular gatherings. From Romans 12:6-8, 13:14, 1 Corinthians 14:26, and Colossians 3:16... [meetings were] also conversational (1 Corinthians 14:29), and marked by interruptions (1 Corinthians 14:30).
     How did the Greek sermon find its way into the Christian church? Around the third century a vacuum was created when mutual ministry faded from the body of Christ... Open meetings began to die out, and church gatherings became more and more liturgical... the pagan notion of a trained professional speaker who delivered orations for a fee moved straight into the Christian bloodstream... a new style of communication was being birthed in the Christian church - a style that emphasized polished rhetoric, sophisticated grammar, flowery eloquence, and monologue... The sermon became the privilege of church officials, particularly the bishops. Such people had to be educated in the schools of rhetoric to learn how to speak. Without this education, a Christian was not permitted to address God's people. (Viola And Barna, Pagan Christianity?, Revised And Updated, P.87-93)

What have we lost by abandoning congregational participation in the typical church service? In our modern entertainment and spectator-oriented version of Christianity, the average believer has little incentive to receive revelation from God since he won't be allowed to share it anyway. And the consequence abdicating our personal responsibilities as believers has dumbed down the church to the point where the typical believer is now largely ignorant of Gods' word today, and wide open to deception. This is why teachings like hyper-grace are spreading like wildfire through the church today. Heretics and false teachers can teach almost anything from the pulpit and no one will question it, partly because of their ignorance and uncertainties, and partly because none are allowed to interrupt the minister's sermon anyway.
     That ministers go unquestioned in the things they teach is especially true with authoritarian preachers who stress the importance of submission, or "obeying the man of God." I once discussed these issues with just such a pastor. My question to him was, "What if the pastor begins teaching heresies? Under your model, no one could question him." His response was that, if the persons' teachings were bad enough, the congregation could trust that God would remove him from office and replace him with someone else.
     But there are two problems with this reasoning. First, it assumes that the judgments of God are as much in effect today as they once were during Biblical times, which is clearly not the case. Secondly, would not God want to warn such a minister that he was in danger of judgment first, and if so, through whom would he be able to do so if no one in the congregation was allowed to speak out of line?
     In Revelations, the woman Jezebel was preaching terrible heresy, and causing some in Thyatira to commit fornication and eat meat sacrificed to idols. But rather than simply executing judgment against her for her sins, the Lord's first response was to warn her that she and her loved ones were in danger of judgment, in hopes of getting her to repent:

“To the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These are the words of the Son of God... I have this against you: You tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and teaches and misleads my servants into committing sexual immorality and eating meat sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time that she might repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling to repent of her sexual immorality. Behold, I will cast her on a [sick] bed, and those committing adultery with her into great affliction if they will not repent of their ways. And I will strike her children with death, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches hearts and minds, and will repay to each of you according to your deeds. (Revelation 2:18-23)

In our current system, when no judgment falls upon a preacher, this is cited as proof that his teachings must be from God. But as the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for." God's judgments will eventually return to the churches in earnest, and when this time comes many will wish they had encouraged believers to direct their hearts to the Spirit Himself, as the apostle Paul did. In the meantime, however, the implications of our passage in Colossians was that God held individual believers and entire congregations accountable for hearing from God themselves, so as not to fall victim to deception. When we all stand before God in judgment, no one will be justified for simply doing what they were told by those whom they assumed "knew best."

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:41:31 PM by Hidden In Him »