Bookmark and Share

Bitcoin Stuff

Bitcoin Donations

1AKjJqVViFZGYat2BqerLPyYWscwVEPZht

Shoutbox

Last 25 Shouts:

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
But ya, any PM's sent they should be made aware of via email, if they have notifications set for receipt of a PM.

But even if so, my newsletter blast can ignore such settings so anyone registered will at least get my message. But I can name them specifically in it for *** & giggles.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 06:15:17 PM
Still need to check some things but that will be easy enough to do via PM.

When the site is re-opened. It is now, but tech locked down... but when it's "back". I can send out a newsletter, anyone who has an email attached that they still use will be made aware / be able to come back if that's what they choose to do.

Hidden In Him

October 14, 2020, 05:56:59 PM
You're kidding... That would be something. Any way to contact ShadowKen and Indybones? And maybe Pineapple, LoL. I suppose if it's all intact I could just message and it would go thru to email.

MoreBloodWine

October 14, 2020, 01:53:33 AM
@HIM: The MP is back, but it will need to remain in maintenance mode until I can re skin it / fix some of the underlying addons, But it is loading again... all data should still be intact.

I've already alerted spddmn's wife to let him know ;-)

Hidden In Him

April 27, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
And after checking, it wasn't done yet, LoL. Looks like it is now (hopefully).

Hidden In Him

April 08, 2020, 10:37:46 AM
This one's pretty good, LoL. Should be fun to put on video some day.  :)
http://www.spiritualwarbiblestudies.com/index.php?topic=181.msg207#msg207

Hidden In Him

March 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
 :) :) :)

MoreBloodWine

March 10, 2020, 07:02:44 AM
Everything happens for a reason, even if it's rewriting old works ;-)

Hidden In Him

March 07, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
My wife dislikes the idea that I'm rewriting studies rather than writing new ones, but the Lord is now opening up Colossians to me like never before, and some work needs to be redone. Very excited about the new insight!  :)

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
...get back to making sure studies were ready to put on camera when the time comes.  :)

So how's life with you?  

Hidden In Him

February 29, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
I noticed you were still lurking around, LoL. Glad to see I'm not the only one happy about it.  :) Hard at work converting the garage into a recording studio & music room. Gonna be nice! The soundproofing is going to be work and money, but a lot of it is already purchased. In the meantime, I had to

MoreBloodWine

February 29, 2020, 01:59:43 AM
 :) :) :)

Hidden In Him

February 28, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
I'm officially going back to writing! Glory to God Almighty!! Having fun again already, and going to be going to work improving and the adding to the set on Colossians.

Blessings in Christ to all who visit,
Hidden

MoreBloodWine

November 02, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I rarely ever used Tapatalk to log in to the site. Not sure if anyone ever actually did as the issue of it not working was never reported.

But for our mobile uses, certain things like this chat box will not be available through the app as this chat box is an addon itself. But all boards within the forum are available and currently confirmed working.

Ty & my apologies !

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:49 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:20:34 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians.

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:19:21 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
... the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him.

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:57:00 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:56:30 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:42 PM

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:55:19 PM
... of which I became a servant according to the administration of God having been given unto me, for you to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations but which has now been made manifest to His saints, to whom God wished to make known what the abundan

Hidden In Him

August 05, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
An excellent passage I am now writing a study on in the Book of Colossians!  :)

"And I am now rejoicing in [my] sufferings over you, and filling up in my flesh what is lacking of the afflictions of Christ for His body's sake, which is the church, of which I became a servant according to the admin

Show 50 latest

Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 12, 2021, 09:47:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 9
  • Latest: ugibak
Stats
  • Total Posts: 233
  • Total Topics: 180
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 827
  • (November 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Author Topic: Colossians 2:20-23, 3:5-7, Part 1  (Read 54 times)

Hidden In Him

• Owner
  • 30 Day Activity:
    0.4%
Colossians 2:20-23, 3:5-7, Part 1
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »
Defeating Spiritual Uncleanness By Mortifying The Flesh, Part 2

What was the early church's answer for dealing with sexual temptation? As covered in Part 1, the answer for the early church was to "bringing the body under submission" through fasting. This is why when heretics threatened to lure the Colossians back into concentrating merely on abstaining from only certain foods in keeping with the Jewish food laws, Paul explained that this actually had little value in bringing the flesh under submission. What they needed to do was bring their bodies under submission through fasting all foods, until the physical members of their bodies (particularly their sexual members) were brought under the power of the Spirit, and their sexual urges nullified by lack of sustenance:

If you died with Christ from the principles of the world, why as though living in the world do you subject yourself to decrees? Touch not, taste not, neither handle such things as are all coming to corruption with the using, in accordance with the injunctions and teachings of men; [teachings] which indeed have an appearance of wisdom in advocating voluntary subservience, self-abasement and neglect of the body, [yet] do not have any value against gratification of the flesh. If therefore you were raised with Christ... Mortify your members upon the earth: Sexual immorality, uncleanness, physical passion, evil lust, and [sexual] covetousness, which is idolatry, on account of which things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, among whom you also walked when you were once living among these. (Colossians 2:20-23, 3:5-7)

The word "mortify" meant literally to "put to death" their bodily members, and the context makes it clear what members Paul had specifically in mind. And as also covered in Part 1, numerous studies have proven that if the body is fasted down long enough, the sex drive increasingly diminishes until it is eventually non-existent, at least until they go back to eating more heavily again. The fasting regimen of early church theologian John Cassian and its effectiveness at eliminating the sex drive was put to the test back in the 1940s by researchers at the University of Minnesota led by Aline Rousselle. Here again is some of what she wrote from her findings:

John Cassian, Jerome, Gregory of Nyssa and Basil of Ancyra all understood the benefits of ascestic fasting to include the slowing of the processes that lead to sexual desire. Aline Rousselle has demonstrated that modern research on the effects of food deprivation confirms the ancient theory to some extent... One of the marked and common effects of prolonged food deprivation - in the Minnesota experiment as well as numerous studies of starving populations in war or famine - is a weakening or loss of sexual desire and activity. The researchers at Minnesota found that by the end of the twenty-four weeks of semi-starvation "sexual feeling and expression … were virtually extinguished in all but a few of the subjects." They also report that "masturbation and nocturnal emissions ceased or were greatly reduced in frequency. Sex fantasies and sex dreams were reported to have decreased in number, and when present they were much attenuated." During the rehabilitation period, the sex drive returned only very slowly. The researchers attributed the decrease in sexual desire in starvation or semi-starvation in part to the body's own "adaptive mechanisms protecting the individual organism from nonessential energy expenditure." Experiment results also showed a marked decrease in the production and excretion of male sex hormones (ketosteroids) as well as a reduction in semen volume and changes in its morphology. Although the Minnesota experiment involved only male subjects, the authors note previous studies documenting widespread amenorrhea among women suffering from food deprivation. (Teresa Shaw, The Burden Of The Flesh, P.126)

The contention of Cassian was that the fasting regimen should be extended for at least six months, however. This is why the fasted life has to become a more permanent lifestyle if one would hope to keep the flesh under submission consistently. The sex drive will gradually start returning over time after one returns to a normal diet. I have done enough fasting myself to attest to this:

The Minnesota experiment thus documented both physiological and psychological aspects of the decline in sexual interest. This decline occurred at a daily caloric intake level of around 1500-1600. It is therefore a fair assumption that the monks of Gaul or Egypt would have experienced a loss of sexual appetite and a reduction in the frequency of nocturnal emissions and erections if in fact they followed the diet described by John Cassian for any significant length of time. Indeed, Rousselle estimates that the individual items in Cassian's daily fast - bread, brine, and oil - would provide around 930 calories. Even the special meal served by Serenus to his guests, which included a few olives, roasted chickpeas, prunes, and a fig, would provide only around 1,069 calories. In light of the modern research just presented, Cassian's recommended weekly diet can only be described as one of semi-starvation. On Saturdays and Sundays, however, the monks were permitted to relax their fast and add an extra meal on a voluntary basis. Cassian very sensibly notes that extra food was necessary at times due to the extreme weakness of the body after five fasting days.
     In sum, Cassian's practical and clear assertion [through the voice of Chaeremon] that six months of rigorous fasting, vigils, and reliance on God should be enough to bring one close to the goal of chastity - which is known in part by the cessation of sensuous dreams and nocturnal emissions - seems firmly based in his observations of the heroic fasters of the Egyptian desert and confirmed by modern research in semi-starvation. (Teresa Shaw, The Burden Of The Flesh, P.127)

So how is this done in practical terms. I believe it is done primarily through two things: Training the body in fasting, and understanding all that comes along with doing so and what to expect physiologically, and walking in a mentality that helps reinforce the lifestyle. When one believes it is indeed what Christ called his people to if they would lead lives of purity, a mentality where they envision themselves as pure before God helps all the more. I will deal with this last one first, as it is apparent from early church records that after being raised up in the Spirit after water baptism, many early Christians adopted the mindset that they had essentially become like the angels of God, and sought to become asexual in nature, thereby no longer engaging in sexual activity but seeking to become pure "virgins of God." 

Becoming As The Angels Of God In Heaven

- Start with "If you have been raised up with Christ"

Freedom From The Earthly Temptations Of Unclean Spirits

- James "earthly, soulish, and demonic"; ties the three together.
- Pittman: Demons that tempt Christians through their flesh.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:18:43 AM by Hidden In Him »